bass scent?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishin masta
Warrant Officer

bass scent?

Post by fishin masta » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:40 am

does anybody ever use any scents on there baits while fishing for bass?
Today she met me at the door, said I would have to choose, if I picked up that fishing rod today, she'd be packing all her things and she'd be gone by noon....well I'm gonna miss her when I get home

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

RE:bass scent?

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:15 am

fishin masta wrote:does anybody ever use any scents on there baits while fishing for bass?

MegaStrike !!

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

fishin masta
Warrant Officer

Post by fishin masta » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:09 am

might have to try it have you tried out their buzzbaits?
Today she met me at the door, said I would have to choose, if I picked up that fishing rod today, she'd be packing all her things and she'd be gone by noon....well I'm gonna miss her when I get home

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:27 pm

fishin masta wrote:might have to try it have you tried out their buzzbaits?

Fishin masta , Keep in mind that a buzzbait is a "reaction bait " , so with that being said IMO scent will not offer in help in enticing a bass to blow up on it ! I use scent on plastic only unless in fishing with WCCT product which comes pre scented :salut: , my personal theory is that scent will take away the human smell off baits and also allow a fish to keep it in there mouth a little longer before the hookset takes place ...

Hope this helps bro !

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:35 pm

And scent can help with crankbaits when the bass just seem to follow it and then turn away. Maybe human scent is bothering the fish, Maybe a normal baitfish gives off a scent and the bass can't smell a scent so turns away. So putting scent on a crankbait can't hurt and will probably help in that senario. Same with a spinnerbait.
Tom.

Interests: living

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:14 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:
fishin masta wrote:does anybody ever use any scents on there baits while fishing for bass?

MegaStrike !!

:cheers: Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumleft:
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:
fishin masta wrote:might have to try it have you tried out their buzzbaits?

Fishin masta , Keep in mind that a buzzbait is a "reaction bait " , so with that being said IMO scent will not offer in help in enticing a bass to blow up on it ! I use scent on plastic only unless in fishing with WCCT product which comes pre scented :salut: , my personal theory is that scent will take away the human smell off baits and also allow a fish to keep it in there mouth a little longer before the hookset takes place ...

Hope this helps bro !
The swede used to talk about rubbing the scent all over his hands, transom, etc to make sure everything he touched smelled like bait. he was referring to salmon, but the principle is the same.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Just the other day I thought about a post that came up a few years back about scent. I have used it and don't see a difference from one jig with scent or a new jig out of the package. As far as keeping the bait in there mouths longer no difference. I smoke as you guys can see in the pic's. The fish didn't even mind the smoke on my line or even the human scent. Like I said I have used it and still do but it don't make any thing any different. The scent on the trailers out of the bag???????? Now that may have something too it!!
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

fishin masta
Warrant Officer

Post by fishin masta » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:00 pm

human scent never even crossed my mind. but i will have to try it out i wouldnt put it on a spinner or buzz but i use plastics the most so i will get some and try it out on those thanks guys

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:13 pm

:-" Don't get caught up in marketing. If your fishing for cat fish you would have better luck with scent.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:15 pm

I got scent but never use it and I still catch fish. Maybe I could catch more who knows. I think presentation plays a way bigger role.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:18 pm

tnj8222 wrote:I got scent but never use it and I still catch fish. Maybe I could catch more who knows. I think presentation plays a way bigger role.
[thumbup] You just might be on to something?
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Nick_Barr
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Nick_Barr » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:53 pm

I believe it is more of a confidence thing. I use it because I truthfully believe that it at least masks anything on the bait that it not natural, along with giving it some texture. I soak my baits in Trigger-X Spray and gives the baits a slightly different texture. Presentation is key, but scent can't not help, especially where you might have a smallmouth follow a hula grub an inch away for 20 feet.
Nick Barr's Bass Fishing Guide Service
www.NickBarrFishing.com
Silver Lake, Riffe Lake, American Lake, Lake Stielacoom, South Sound Lakes (Long, Hicks, Patterson, etc.)
Also available in E. WA: Potholes, Moses, Banks
$50 off American Lake/Lake Stielacoom Bass Trips through May to WALAKES.com Members!
INTERSTATE BATTERIES
Legend Bass Boats
Mercury Marine
Outdoor Emporium

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:38 am

why would bass be attracted to the smell of crawfish, trout, sunfish, poo, ducklings, snakes, frogs, bugs, minnows, etc, but 'know' that the human smell is not only not edible, but dangerous?

FishTank
Petty Officer

Post by FishTank » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:13 am

Wouldn't the pattern of the fish determine how effective scent is? Gotta think like the fish. If they're aggressive, scent may not matter much as presentation will induce a quick strike. But I would think that if they're not very hungry, like when we're not hungry, scent/taste will matter a lot more. Why not? It matters a lot to us when we're apathetic.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donny - Software Engineer

It's time to catch bass and chew bubble gum, guys... and I'm all out of gum

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:30 pm

FishTank wrote:Wouldn't the pattern of the fish determine how effective scent is? Gotta think like the fish. If they're aggressive, scent may not matter much as presentation will induce a quick strike. But I would think that if they're not very hungry, like when we're not hungry, scent/taste will matter a lot more. Why not? It matters a lot to us when we're apathetic.
Thats about it. All the trailers are sented out of the bag. I use it when the fish don't want to hit anything.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Dustin07 wrote:why would bass be attracted to the smell of crawfish, trout, sunfish, poo, ducklings, snakes, frogs, bugs, minnows, etc, but 'know' that the human smell is not only not edible, but dangerous?
There are some fish that like the human scent. And they will eat humans. I did a lot of diving in Fl Lks the bass are not scared of the scent of humans or our size . They will swim right up to you.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:56 am

maybe your smoking actually attracts bass. maybe I'll have to crack out a cigar tonight and see if my luck increases.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:00 pm

I use a few,not sure if it helps or not but I figure it keeps my nasty body odor off the bait.
The product I use most often is Bass Hammer on Senko's but from time to time,I might dable a little on spinnerbaits
and even a crank bait,probably doesn't do anything but I get desperate some times.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:04 pm

I haved used scents off and on for about 8 years now and really can't tell the difference between a scented bait and one that is not. I have caught just as much if not more on baits that are not scented. I too smoke and it doesn't seem to effect the bite that I can tell. Bait, presentation and conditions should be your biggest concern when fishing. I will use a scent as a lubricant on my jigs and swimbaits for quality hook sets but other than that you can throw a bait straight out of the package in the right spot at the right time and that bass could care less how that thing smells. In fact, as far as a bass's senses goes they use them in an order close to this - Vibration (through their lateral line) and sound, sight, smell, taste/feel. This is all dependant and can vary based on water quality and environment. But vibration and sound are first, then sight and when you really think about it, bass will commit based on those three senses way before smell and taste come into play. Now I say that and come winter, smell can play a larger roll when finicky lathargic bass are the majority. But for now, just get out there and get that bait in the water.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;