WHAT THE ?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Trent Hale
Commander

WHAT THE ?

Post by Trent Hale » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Just would like to know how many of you guys ease up on a dock that you know fish are under and your first cast (!*@%$*) Your hung up on the dock. You ease over to unhang your lure and there it is a Lunker pushing 9+. So you watch the fish swim off! I ask this because it happens to me a lot more than I would want. So what do you do when this happens?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

rl206
Commander

RE:WHAT THE ?

Post by rl206 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:11 pm

One time me and a buddy were jig fishing a dock and first cast he wrapped it on a wind decoration we went up to grab up, (just were gonna pass on that dock, figured we spooked them already by making noise)

We grabbed it, in an aluminum boat, not being stealthy AT ALL.

We started to reverse out and saw THE biggest bass Ive ever seen to this day just sitting on a patch of weeds in about 2 ft. RIGHT under where we just were

So my buddy casts past it hoping it was his lucky day, the jig coming within 5 ft of it scared it, not us in the boat directly above it...

But as far as what we did, just stare... lol

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:36 am

thats why you pack 10 rods in your bass boat right? leave the snagged one up and cast a different one! go get it when your done, hehe

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:58 am

Trent Hale wrote: Just would like to know how many of you guys ease up on a dock that you know fish are under and your first cast (!*@%$*) Your hung up on the dock. You ease over to unhang your lure and there it is a Lunker pushing 9+. So you watch the fish swim off! I ask this because it happens to me a lot more than I would want. So what do you do when this happens?
I have learned to cut my line and venture in with a backup cast. I never move in when there's a possibility of
a true giant. I've nailed a fish or two then moved in to get the lure hung on the dock. This was something
I've picked up after going through the agony of seeing what I just missed out on.

If I hang on logs or pads I do the same exact thing, if I know "big fish" are spooky and close by. If I get hung, I won't move in or won't pull a superline manuever and tear up the bottom, dragging logs, rippn up the vegetation. I cut the line, I'll later catch the line with a crank or move in to get the lure back. When talking lunkers and I'm hung I pause when agitated and CUT the line.
Oh Momma!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:35 am

Great advice spindog.
aka Powerworm

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:23 am

Dustin07 wrote:thats why you pack 10 rods in your bass boat right? leave the snagged one up and cast a different one! go get it when your done, hehe

This is exactly what I have done in the past.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:37 pm

Dustin07 wrote:thats why you pack 10 rods in your bass boat right? leave the snagged one up and cast a different one! go get it when your done, hehe
I was given a 'warning' one time because the fish cop said it was using two rods to fish with. Now I have the second rod permit so I can't be given a warning for that (in most waters).#-o
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:06 am

Learn to cast, dude! Kidding LOL I feel your pain on that...has happened way too many times. I like the idea of cutting your line tho. Gonna have to try it.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:31 am

Agree with you BassDood ... oh wait I cant cast either ... LOL. Great advice spindog!
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:28 am

If I were tring to cast to the only nail sticking up on a dock I could never hit it. But when not tring ,every time it seams like!#-o

In the past few weeks the jig I'm useing is the last one I have, Thats why I don't cut the line. I will lay the rod down and make casts with other lures before I move up to get the lure thats hung. I've been layed off to long to lose any more baits or braided line.

I can't belive that the stores here in Kitsap and other areas don't have any 3/4 or 1 oz jigs? I have to order them from BPS. If any one knows where a guy can get these around here let me know. Must be green pumpkin!!
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:33 am

Nobody has squat on this side, Trent. I hate it! Cabelas in Lacey maybe? We might have to make a trip down there to see.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Trent,

Rattling Jigs or none rattling?

Russ

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:21 pm

basspro wrote:Trent,

Rattling Jigs or none rattling?

Russ
Two barrel rattles.[thumbsup]
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:22 pm

BassDood wrote:Nobody has squat on this side, Trent. I hate it! Cabelas in Lacey maybe? We might have to make a trip down there to see.
You would think they'ed have them but they don't. :-k
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!