Best dropshot rod/reel combo

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
JS
Petty Officer

Best dropshot rod/reel combo

Post by JS » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:45 pm

I recently bought a dropshot specific rod/reel combo for myself and i LOVE it. [thumbsup] I am curious as to what all of you are using? What works the best for you? Also, what are your favorite dropshot baits,line,and hooks?

kzoo
Commodore

RE:Best dropshot rod/reel combo

Post by kzoo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:19 pm

I'm happy with my Shimano Crucial Dropshot rod paired with a Shimano Stradic FI 2500. I've had the rig for three years now and it's holding up well, the entire rig is incredibly light and battled many large smallies!

AaronW
Warrant Officer

Post by AaronW » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:36 pm

I love drop-shotting, probably use it more than most people;

I've got a budget rig with the 2011 Shimano Compre drop-shot paired with a Shimano 1000 Sahara reel. They upgraded the materials for the new Compres making them similar to the previous Crucials with IM 9 graphite. Light, sensitive rod and I like those reels, I use the 2500 for my wacky rig. I use 10 lb braid with 8 lb floro leader for the added sensitivity. Just gotta use care when tying the double uni...

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:47 pm

Yamamoto dropshot rod I bought in '02, still works fine, when I use it,:-" maybe 10 times a year. Give me a crankbait most time. [biggrin] The reel is a Shimano Sidestab 4000. The other dropshot rod I bought in Jan or Feb is a St Croix with a Shimano Sidestab 3000, yes 3,000 not a 4,000 as on the other rod, that I haven't used yet, had it tied up, but took it out of the boat when someone else fished with me and haven't put it back in yet, give me a crankbait any day. :) lol
Last edited by Amx on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

lowvw
Warrant Officer

Post by lowvw » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Dobyns DX703sf with a 1500 series Okuma. Have fished the DX702SF and liked it for light weights, but 1/2oz was a little much for it. 703 does it all, but does move the bait a little more.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:00 pm

lowvw wrote:Dobyns DX703sf with a 1500 series Okuma. Have fished the DX702SF and liked it for light weights, but 1/2oz was a little much for it. 703 does it all, but does move the bait a little more.

I use my Dobyns DX701 For most of all my dropshot needs , I can tell all of you dobyns fans Dont under estimate the power of these rods .
I know that the rods are slim in diameter and light weight, However i have yanked on many 4 ~ 5lb fish with ease .
I personaly like to use the DX702 for tubes,flick shakes, and its also perfect for fishing weed beds with 10lb test with the re barb hooks .
My 703 has been awesome for medium diving cranks , senko's ,smaller trapps , and texas rigging plastics up too 1/2 oz .
The one thing that all dobyns users can appreciate is the fact that mostly all of the Dobyns series are some of the versatile rods on the market IMO.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:38 pm

Ive got a 702 Dobyns w/ a Shimano Sienna 10lb main going to 8lb leader
(6lb once I run out)

The dobyns are pretty awesome rods, you can feel a lot more w/ them

JS
Petty Officer

Post by JS » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 am

rl206 wrote:Ive got a 702 Dobyns w/ a Shimano Sienna 10lb main going to 8lb leader
(6lb once I run out)

The dobyns are pretty awesome rods, you can feel a lot more w/ them
I also have the Dobyns 702 but with a pflueger supreme xt, loaded with 8lb flouro. I love this combo. It has already proven itself with handling good fish.

Also, what about everyones favorite baits,hooks,weights ect....?

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:15 am

i have a dobyns dx702 paired with a shimano. I love 6lb flouro. Pline 100percent. but im starting to like sunline now too.
Quikdrop weights all the way.
I use both owner mosquito and gami splitshot/dropshot hooks and the rebarbs for bigger worms.
Baits i like roboworms, sniper, panic minnows and yamamoto products

f1sh1nf00l
Warrant Officer

Post by f1sh1nf00l » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:14 am

St.Croix Legend Tournament 6' 9" Md. Lt. (Lifetime warrantee, and AMERICAN MADE)
Shimano Sarros 2500F
Berkley Trilene 100% Flurocarbon professional grade(very strong, low memory, and AMERICAN MADE)
Winter time= 15lb Spiderwire stealth braid(USA MADE) with a small barrel swivel and 6 lb fluro leader(eliminates line twist)
Sniper bolts are hard to beat, Pannic minnows are good, Roboworms, but if im looking for a big bite, I whacky rig a 5" Yum Dinger on a 1/0 Gamakatsu dropshot hook.
Sniper, and Density Tackle(Pannic minnows) are both local companies that make great products and really deserve your support.
Buy American, buy local, every chance you get! It's up to us to rebuild our economy!
Last edited by f1sh1nf00l on Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:03 am

Lamiglas Drop Shot Special mated to a Rapala 6sxi, 6# Sea Guar Invizx or Cabela's house fc line

For heavier cover, I have my Shimano Compre and Symetre.

Casting - Curado 101D with my lamiglas competitor or Cabela Mag Touch.

Many bass have been suckered by all of these rigs.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:24 pm

Not say best but it is what I am using ... Lamiglas Excel Bass XL702SM w/ Pflueger President 6930X.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

gort
Petty Officer

Post by gort » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:39 pm

What makes a drop shot rod different? Is it lighter and faster action?

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Gort wrote:What makes a drop shot rod different? Is it lighter and faster action?
Weight, action, and sensitivity. Look into warranty.

3riversbasser
Petty Officer

Post by 3riversbasser » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:21 am

Dobyns makes killer rods no doubt and I've caught a ton of fish on the DX702 dropshot rod this year. By comparison thought the DSR822 NRX is head and shoulders above anything else out there. Paired with a Abu Garcia REVO premier 20 spinning reel and 5 or 6lb sunline and you've got a top of the line combo.

Granted it is not cheap, but if your serious about it and do it enough it can pay off in the long run.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Re: RE:Best dropshot rod/reel combo

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:45 am

kzoo wrote:
Gort wrote:What makes a drop shot rod different? Is it lighter and faster action?
Weight, action, and sensitivity. Look into warranty.
Your correct Paul ,

Guyz be sure too look into the warranty policy on any rod purchase .
Dobyns has a no questions ask lifetime warranty , just bring $60 to either Auburn Sports Marine or 3 riveres marine and they will pull a new rod right off the Rack for ya :cheers: AWESOME DEAL!!

I also agree that the NRX rods are top notch rods no dout , but the warranty policy can use some improvements IMHO!! If i were to spend $450.00 on a rod i would like a lifetime warranty for sure [glare] .

clarkhess122
Petty Officer

Re: Best dropshot rod/reel combo

Post by clarkhess122 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:00 pm

I would definitely get a dobyns if I could afford one :-({|= from what I've heard they're the best on the market. Right now I just use my generic spinning combo for it. I haven't had much success with the dropshot but thats probably because I'm just not patient enough for it to do work. :-" one of these days I'll figure it out tho.

Teal101
Warrant Officer

Re: Best dropshot rod/reel combo

Post by Teal101 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:30 am

A custom built 6' Light/fast rod I built paired with a Shimano Symetre 3500 and 8lb P-line.