Spokane lake(long lake) DNR launch?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bazzdude
Petty Officer

Spokane lake(long lake) DNR launch?

Post by bazzdude » Fri May 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Well I want to launch at the dnr site early at sun rise but not sure what time the camp hosts open the gates? Does anyone know? I know the close them right a dark! Thanks for any info on the topic, any fishing tips on the area would be appreciated also. Thanks everyone. :cheers:

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: Spokane lake(long lake) DNR launch?

Post by AJ's Dad » Sat May 24, 2014 5:33 am

Assuming that you are talking about the old Nine Mile Resort.
I got a hold of the camp host out there a day or so before I fished back on May 2nd. She told me that the gate would be closed until 8am but that it is not locked. She said If I wanted to come in before 8am I could just open the gate and come in, but asked that I close it behind me. She also told me that the docks were not in the water at that time and that there was no launch fee until the docks were back in. Be aware that you do need a discovery pass to use this facility. We did go in early and close the gate behind us. We did not pay a launch fee and we had no problems.
The smallies should be biting out there by now. Tube jigs thrown at any rocky shoreline should do well for you. start shallow and move deeper until you find the fish.
Hope this helps.

bazzdude
Petty Officer

Post by bazzdude » Sat May 24, 2014 10:46 pm

o awesome for the info, I have read a lot of your older reports from there. I am talking about the launch where you go down the big hill to the lake. I never heard of a launch fee there before. That is strange. I wonder if she still keeps the gate unlocked???? Well as far as the fishing goes, how deep could they be this time of year, and do you bounce them or swim them? just curious I was thinking of top waters early and cranks later. Or even spinerbaits. Thanks again man. =D>

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sat May 24, 2014 11:59 pm

Oh,
I was talking about the Old Nine Mile Resort. I did see cars at the one you are talking about the last time I fished there. Unfortunately I don't know about the hours of operation there.
I looked back at some of my older photos. I would catch smallies in 6" of water out to 20 feet of water during May. Like I mentioned in the last note. I would start out throwing jigs at a rocky shore line in shallow water. If I catch them there I stay in that type of water. If they are not there, I move out a little deeper to say 10 to 15 feet of water. Swim the jig, bounce it, drag it slow across the bottom until you find the presentation they want.
Here's an example of a fish I got in May fishing in about 5 feet of water. (In the camo coat) and and one I got in about 12 feet of water also caught in May. (Red coat)
Both fish were caught using a pumpkin with black fleck 2 1/2" tube jig and were located useing this method.
Attachments
smallie 2.jpg
smallie 2.jpg (99.64 KiB) Viewed 6971 times
smallie.jpg
smallie.jpg (142.22 KiB) Viewed 6971 times

bazzdude
Petty Officer

Post by bazzdude » Sun May 25, 2014 11:27 am

thanks once again for the help but where is the old launch that you are talking about? is it past tum tum? not the willow bay one right? I heard that the willow bay one is open to the pubic now? I remember it used to be members only. Any how I am still thinking about heading out early in the morning, not sure if this time of the year early is better or not, I know in about a month it is. I am kind excited about it tomorrow but a little bit nervious about where I should launch and how the wind is going to be? :salut:

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon May 26, 2014 6:15 am

From Spokane you go to the Nine Mile Falls dam and turn left across the bridge just past the dam. Here is the address. You can google it and click on directions. That will get you there.
11226 W Charles Rd, Nine Mile Falls, WA. It is now called the Nine Mile Recreation Area and it's a sattelite park to Riverside State Park. Don't forget to get a discovery pass if you are going to use this launch.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon May 26, 2014 6:58 pm

There are three "public" launches.

Launch 1 is the one at the confluence of the Little Spokane and the Spokane River. It is fast water right now, all river. The area is shallow and in my opinion dangerous. Additionally, there are a lot of break ins there. Still, no gate and no time restrictions that I know of.

Launch 2 is the one where you cross the river on the upstream end of Long lake, follow the road to the entrance to the right. It is open from 6:30 to dusk, depending on the whim of the Host. Yes, it is often closed till 8:00 am, but it is not locked and you can access at 6:30. This one is shallow at the launch and it can be hard to launch if the water is down. As of today, May 26 2014, it should be ok, water being down about 8 inches from full pool. I believe this is the one everyone calls the old 9 mile resort. It is a state park now, with camping.

Launch 3 is the old BLM launch that is past Tum Tum, past Red lake, just barely past corkscrew road. It is closed until 6:30 am and closes at dusk. It is the deepest launch, but it is also part of the State Park now.

All launches require a launch fee and I know launch 2 and 3 require a Discovery Pass for sure.

No other launch is open to the public at this time, to include the one that is now private and closed in Tum Tum, Willow Bay, etc. There are actually several private launches, but ........ One actually is a camping area, launch, Marina, but is for "members only".

The SMB are hitting right now. I and my son had a good day today (5/26/14). We did best in water that was 59.5 or above, but did catch some with cooler temps. We did also hit a couple of LMB but lost them at the boat.

tbrinks
Warrant Officer

Post by tbrinks » Wed May 28, 2014 8:35 am

Anglinarcher wrote:There are three "public" launches.
No other launch is open to the public at this time, to include the one that is now private and closed in Tum Tum, Willow Bay, etc. There are actually several private launches, but ........ One actually is a camping area, launch, Marina, but is for "members only".
Willow Bay will let you launch there, but it is $15. I prefer to launch there because they are always open 24/7/365 and it's right in the middle of the lake so its easy to run either direction..plus that section of the lake is my favorite anyways.
Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored
http://www.tbrinksfishing.com

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed May 28, 2014 4:03 pm

They told me no last year. When did it change?

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Wed May 28, 2014 7:23 pm

They probably figured if people would pat $15 to launch, why not let them go for it.

tbrinks
Warrant Officer

Post by tbrinks » Thu May 29, 2014 7:05 am

Anglinarcher wrote:They told me no last year. When did it change?
I've been going there all last year and even late in 2012 after the others closed on Oct 15th. It's nice when you can launch all the way into late November.

The Spokane Bass Club has even held four tournaments there. It's pricey to launch but good facilities and right in the middle of the lake.
Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu May 29, 2014 1:22 pm

Not so pricy! If you pay $7 at the state launch, plus $10 if you need a one day Discovery pass...... $15 beats $17.

tbrinks
Warrant Officer

Post by tbrinks » Thu May 29, 2014 2:41 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:Not so pricy! If you pay $7 at the state launch, plus $10 if you need a one day Discovery pass...... $15 beats $17.
You are right...plus it is cheaper to tow the boat down there than run it down lake, at least it is for me.
Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored

bazzdude
Petty Officer

Post by bazzdude » Thu May 29, 2014 7:48 pm

So I launched at the site past willow bay which is open form I think it said 6 30am till dusk with the camp host closing the gate but he checks the lot first. Anyhow it is open to the public and is $7 but is at the end of the lake and I did not really like the fishing there. Boat I think that there is less pleasure boaters there. But then again I have not launched at the other end yet. It sounds like my best bet is the old 9 mile one. I only have a 10 horse power should that work there with the current? Thanks for all the feed back. :salut:

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri May 30, 2014 5:31 am

There are no current issues at the Nine Mile Recreation area. Your 10hp motor will do fine there.