bass depth.

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mikeel1987
Warrant Officer

bass depth.

Post by Mikeel1987 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:50 pm

Can anyone explain to me why bass go deep and how to figure out how deep they are going? This really stumps me. I love foshing shallow but understand to catch more fish I should fish deep.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: bass depth.

Post by Amx » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:01 pm

depends on the time of year, as you know but I'll try to list it;

winter - crayfish go deep, minnows go deep, trout go deep, bass are following their forage, water is warmer for the most part deep as the storms don't effect the depths temperature, but turn-over can happen a couple times a year. But the depths can also lose oxygen and the fish have to come shallower in some lakes. It can get stagnant down there, in some lakes.

summer - other fish go deep for the following reasons, cooler water for the trout, minnows go deep, more oxygen in the cooler water, unless there is a storm and that'll enrichen the oxy level at the surface and the bass will become more active. bass will hide under the trout, perch, crappy schools and still have crayfish in areas and will come shallow for crayfish, frogs, baby ducks, bugs and such. Bass are actually shallow water fish for the most part, but have to follow their food source. In some lakes the shade that bass like are mostly in the deep depths. You'd think that they'd be under the docks all the time, but that's no good if their food is deep because their food like cooler temps.
Tom.

Interests: living

Mikeel1987
Warrant Officer

Post by Mikeel1987 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Amx u always have good answers id love to take u out fishing some time.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:55 pm

:salut: I'll be on the lake tomorrow trying to get skunked. [laugh] Almost did it yesterday. [omg]
Tom.

Mikeel1987
Warrant Officer

Post by Mikeel1987 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:51 am

Whats your home lake

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:54 am

Sawyer. got a 5.40 today. Am getting ready to make a report just now. Have to load the picture onto the computer first, then also the 'not quite trophy Largie gallery' thread too.
Tom.

Mikeel1987
Warrant Officer

Post by Mikeel1987 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:16 am

Nice next time i am up that way ill get a hold of you

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:30 am

Ok.
Tom.

tbrinks
Warrant Officer

Post by tbrinks » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:51 pm

They go where the baitfish are. When they aren't spawning, it is about eating and that's about it. If they can find food shallow they really have no reason to move deeper.
Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored
http://www.tbrinksfishing.com

Eoso
Warrant Officer

Post by Eoso » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:33 am

There was an article recently explaining how bass don't want move to deeper water along the bottom in a short period of time and more commonly move from their shallow depth to suspending at the same depth further out.

Mikeel1987
Warrant Officer

Post by Mikeel1987 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:46 am

Where was this article at?

Eoso
Warrant Officer

Post by Eoso » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:00 am

I'd have to try and search for it. It was bassresource I think. Or wired2fish.

swb69
Petty Officer

Post by swb69 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:01 am

I agree with the others, the bass are following their food. If you can find what they are eating you will find them. Depending on if you are fishing for SMB or LMB and the time of year will determine what they are eating. SMB love crayfish so using cray imitators (I prefer tube jigs) along the bottom is a good bet. I fish from a boat so I cast as close to the shore as I can and bounce it back along the bottom. After a few catches I can figure out where they are hanging out. Then using my depth sounder I can determine their depth and can use that at other spots to close in on them faster. For LMB, if your fish finder is good enough, you can find schools of bait fish and that should give you an idea of their depth. There are many, many techniques to finding fish, these are my preferred methods. Also remember that their depth will change from day to day, maybe even hour to hour depending on weather conditions. Hope this helps, good luck.
Any time fishing is time well spent.