New Bass Fisher

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Ogre
Angler

New Bass Fisher

Post by Ogre » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:44 am

Hey all,

I have been doing a ton of research on how to fish for bass lately. I have been doing a lot of "playing" with texas rigged worms lately. I have not been very successfull, probably because I am fishing a lake not known for bass (silver lake, Sno Co). I am hoping somebody could suggest a lake in the snohomish county area that I can fish from the shore and have a decent time learning. I dont want a "secret lake" or your honey hole. Just looking for a lake that I can learn the bite and hookset on bass. I am still working on proper hook sets for bass, considering I have only fished trout in the past, I am having a rough time getting used to not just yanking back on the rod. Also, any pointers, suggestions, criticism, and critiques are welcome. My current settup is a 7ft med action rod, w/ daiwa baitcaster, suffix 12lb mono, have a couple cranks, a spinner, and some finesse worms.

Thank you in advance,

Ogre aka Brent

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Re: New Bass Fisher

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:02 pm

High Brent,

In AA they would say "my name is Brent and I am an alcoholic". You need to say "my name is Brent and I am soon to be a bassaholic". [thumbsup] It can be addictive.

Now, for your questions, I don't know your area at all, but I suggest that you go to the reports section and look up the county you want information about. (Click on the county to sort, go to your county) Look at each lake report for the fish you want. Better yet, click on info to learn what the lake has for fish species. Perhaps Lost (Devil's), Loma, or maybe Howard?

Your choice of tackle is good. It covers what you need to get started quite well. I would use a "spinner bait", also known as an overhead spinner, as your start lure because they hit it pretty hard . Worm fishing can be a little harder to get use to, but with a little practice it is not hard at all. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/s ... t104732280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out our bass forum, the videos on the Washington Lakes Site, and YouTube bass fishing Videos and soon enough you will have it figured out. Better yet, find a Bass Fishing friend that can teach you the ropes.

Most important, HAVE FUN!

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:18 pm

Shadow lake in snohomish county, or flowing.

Ogre
Angler

Post by Ogre » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:18 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:Your choice of tackle is good. It covers what you need to get started quite well. I would use a "spinner bait", also known as an overhead spinner, as your start lure because they hit it pretty hard . Worm fishing can be a little harder to get use to, but with a little practice it is not hard at all. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/s ... t104732280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Archer,

Are there some color choices you would suggest to get started. I know its primarily dependent on the water conditions but was hoping maybe a couple color choices that are decent for year round. I currently only have a white strike king with one willow leaf and a small colorado blade. As far as your comment about being a Bassaholic...already there my friend. I have only caught 1 six incher on my trout gear...thats what got it all started lol.

Ogre

Ogre
Angler

Post by Ogre » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Skunkedtoomuch wrote:Shadow lake in snohomish county, or flowing.
Thank you Skunked,

I will try to check out Shadow lake next week. I think I know where that is and its not too far.

Ogre

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Colors? You are so right about colors being depending on water conditions and local prey. If I had to prepare for a fishing trip and I had no idea where I was going, I would probably buy spinner baits in the 3/8 oz range (if you can cast that weight), with a single Colorado Blade (not always the best, but most versatile) in the following colors, in this order.

Chartreuse and White - Silver blade
Chartreuse and White - Gold blade
Black - Silver Blade
White - Silver blade

I have given you a link below that gives you an idea of the bait, but not all colors are available. I have suffered the addiction so long that I now make most of my own so I can get any color I wanted.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/ ... t104597280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know that there will be some question as to why the single Colorado blade. Single Colorado blades are a bit more weed resistant, they have a lot of thump so if the thump stops you either have a light biter or weeds (set the hook to either rip the weeds of or nail the bass).

The Willow blades spin faster and give more flash, and at times they are much better. Double blades give more of everything. But, as I said, I feel the single Colorado is more "versatile" if I have no idea what is going on.

Good luck, and by the way, there IS NO CURE, only treatments. I think I need to plan another treatment session at a local lake next week. :scratch:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:01 pm

I've had treatments for 5 days straight. :cheers:

I see no cure in sight. Image
Tom.

Interests: living

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:28 pm

Amx wrote:I've had treatments for 5 days straight. :cheers:

Do I need to place you on my enemies list for rubbing it in? LOL

Hope the treatments get you though until next time! [thumbsup]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:37 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:
Amx wrote:I've had treatments for 5 days straight. :cheers:

Do I need to place you on my enemies list for rubbing it in? LOL

Hope the treatments get you though until next time! [thumbsup]
Nope, no rubbing it in. I'm schedualed for another treatment tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and the next day. I just can't survive without the treatment. Ya I know, it's hell being retired, and then to have this dang 'Bass Fishing Disease', which I've had since high school. Image Image Image
Tom.

Interests: living

Ogre
Angler

Post by Ogre » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:16 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:Colors? You are so right about colors being depending on water conditions and local prey. If I had to prepare for a fishing trip and I had no idea where I was going, I would probably buy spinner baits in the 3/8 oz range (if you can cast that weight), with a single Colorado Blade (not always the best, but most versatile) in the following colors, in this order.

Chartreuse and White - Silver blade
Chartreuse and White - Gold blade
Black - Silver Blade
White - Silver blade
Archer,

Thank you again so much. Looks like my next treatment will be at the local tackle shop #-o . 3/8 shouldnt be much of a problem...will just have to get used to it. I am new to baitcasting too...gotta love the rookie backlash lol.

Ogre