Boat advice.

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bassin253
Petty Officer

Boat advice.

Post by Bassin253 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Alright so been on the river salmon thing for a couple of years and giving it up to get back to bass. I have bass fishing for about 20 years but always from a float tube and i think im ready to step up and buy a boat. My question is i have talked the wife into setting aside about 3500 in a couple of months for a boat (do not know how the hell she went for it [confused] [thumbsup] ) and have no idea where i should start looking or what boats options are available for that kinda of money. used bass boat, jon boat and convert to bass boat i have no idea guess im wondering if you guys can kinda point me in a direction and what i should be able to get together cause i have no idea. Thank you in advance Chad

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Boat advice.

Post by Amx » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:33 am

No time for me to help this morning, but the best place to start asking and go look is Limit Out Marine in Pacific.

http://www.limitoutmarine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:48 am

Where do you plan to fish at?

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:35 am

In a couple of months when you are ready to buy, prices will already be dropping for guys trying to seel boats at the end of the warm weather season. As you probably already know, craigslist can be a great place to find anything you want for sale. A quick search this morning turned up this boat. http://moseslake.craigslist.org/boa/4613224282.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's located in connell south of Ritzville. This is an example of what you can find for the money you want to spend if you are willing to drive a few miles to get what you want. This boat looks like it could use a little tlc like carpeting and a good wax job but it would be great for bass fishing. Winter is a good time to fix up a new purchase if you are a do it yourselfer. Replacing carpets in a boat like this are easy and fixing one up can be very satisfying.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:16 am

I have a old Ranger that I would sell, been stored inside .
Drop me a PM if interested.

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:17 pm

We have a Skeeter we just got in close to that price range at Limit Out Marine. Good compression on all cylinders and will say the overall complexion of the boat is not perfect but she runs good.

Give us a call at 253-863-9973

Russ

swb69
Petty Officer

Post by swb69 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:16 pm

You need to decide what the boat will be used for. Will it be just for fishing or do you need more of a family boat. Also where you plan to fish will matter. Are you planning to stick to small lakes or largers ones or maybe river fishing. I had a 17' ranger that worked well for most situations, but it was not a good rough water or family boat. If you are looking for a good all around boat(family/fishing/fun) I would suggest an open bow boat that has livewells and is set up similar to a bass boat(casting seat, bow mount trolling motor, depth/fish finder, ect.). I believe open bows are about the most versatile boat out there. As for size I would personally not go less than 16' for rivers or large lakes, and it will also let you get in on most small lakes. Also an open bow with a kicker motor will still let you troll for salmon/steelhead/trout, if you want.

Craigslist is a great way to find out what you can get for your money. I would also look at local boat shops and marinas. Do a lot of looking, and if you have some friends with boats see if they will take you out so you can get a feel for what different types of boats are like. Again, do a lot of looking and figure out what you want to do with this boat. There is nothing more frustrating than buying a boat and then realizing it is not going to work for you, I have been through this before. Hope this helps.
Any time fishing is time well spent.