river wading for smallmouth

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
will3140
Petty Officer

river wading for smallmouth

Post by will3140 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Does anyone know a river, or creek or stream where one could wade for smallmouth. Thanks in advance

BentRod
Admiral

Re: river wading for smallmouth

Post by BentRod » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:19 pm

The Yakima between Horn Rapids dam and West Richland.

swb69
Petty Officer

Post by swb69 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:07 pm

Most people don't believe me, but the Palouse river at the west end of the town of Colfax has some decent smallies. I used to fish there after work. You really don't need to wade as the river is only about 50 feet across. Might be a good area for fly fishing, I've never tried but the water is usually only a few feet to maybe 10 feet in the pools. Also the confluence of the palouse and snake rivers is good for smallies and there are some flats that you could wade out on.
Any time fishing is time well spent.

will3140
Petty Officer

Post by will3140 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:49 am

I found Colfax and the Palouse River on Google and would like to give it a try. Can you be more specific as to where in Colfax I should get in and try. A road crossing or other landmark would be helpful. Thanks for being so generous with your information.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:43 am

Include the Grande Rounde below Troy Oregon to the Snake River and also include the Upper Spokane River from the dam in Post Falls Idaho to Plants Ferry.

Grande Rounde had the biggest river SMB in my opinion, but watch the snakes along the shore during the summer. You did say wading, so keep to wading. LOL

swb69
Petty Officer

Post by swb69 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:00 pm

will3140 wrote:I found Colfax and the Palouse River on Google and would like to give it a try. Can you be more specific as to where in Colfax I should get in and try. A road crossing or other landmark would be helpful. Thanks for being so generous with your information.

Starting in Colfax, take highway 26 towards Walla Walla. As you head out of town you will go past Jones Truck and Implament and then you will cross a bridge over the Palouse River. You can start from there and wade down stream, I usually kept on the road until you come to a gravel pit. If you looking on Google earth you will see it. Follow the road to a fence and park there but don't block the road, the farmer there gets really upset about that. Then its a short walk to the river. That whole stretch from the bridge on down should produce for you.

BTW I used flies and spinners and jigs down to just a worm on a hook with no weight and let it float in the current. All produced fish but a fly or popper on ultralight gear is great fun. Good luck

Another spot is the flats just outside the marina at Central Ferry on the Snake River. These are mud flats but have a lot of rip rap and other structure around, if you are up for a bit of a drive.

will3140
Petty Officer

Post by will3140 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:01 pm

swb69,

WOW! Thanks for such complete info. I tried to find the road and gravel pit you mentioned on Google but had no luck. I did find a place called Eels Park that appears to be within walking distance of the Palouse. Might that be a reasonable place to start. Rt. 26 runs east and west. To find the spot you mentioned do I go over the bridge heading west or east and where do I get off Rt. 26 to find the road to the parking place. I apologize for being dense about this but I am not familiar with this part of WA so any help you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:32 pm

I made a road trip between Yakima and Richland along the Yakima river. Nearly every place I stopped, caught smallmouth. Best lure was a 3" motor oil grub with gold metal flake on a 1/4oz jighead. Fish size was anywhere from 3/4 - 2lbs, no monsters but strong fighting fish. Also caught some on small crankbaits.

swb69
Petty Officer

Post by swb69 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:58 pm

You will be going west out of Colfax. There will be a bridge then a road off to the right, I believe it is called W River Dr. It goes through a construction yard and gravel pit. The area by Eels park might work also but I have never fished there.

Don't mention the help. I don't believe in keeping my fishing spots or "tricks" a secret. We need more people out enjoying the states fishing and hunting so we (the fishers and hunters) will have a louder voice in Olympia.

will3140
Petty Officer

Post by will3140 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:50 pm

eat-sleep-fish wrote:I made a road trip between Yakima and Richland along the Yakima river. Nearly every place I stopped, caught smallmouth. Best lure was a 3" motor oil grub with gold metal flake on a 1/4oz jighead. Fish size was anywhere from 3/4 - 2lbs, no monsters but strong fighting fish. Also caught some on small crankbaits.
EAT-SLEEP-FISH,

Thanks for the reply. Your smallmouth fishing tip is great. However, when I looked at MapQuest and followed the Yakima from Yakima to West Richland I saw very few places to access the river. I believe I found some access near Granger, Prosser, and West Richland. These accesses are in remote areas but it seems all are on private property. I found a park called Hisey Park near Granger that looks promising as it is a public place with good access. If at all possible, could you give me some help with places between Yakima and Richland where I could access the Yakima. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance. will3140