Winter bass fishing??

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AlexanderS
Petty Officer

Winter bass fishing??

Post by AlexanderS » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Hey guys,this year I really got into bass fishing,and I consider myself still new to it,learning something every time I go out.i noticed it's starting to get a lot slower,especially with the temp falling so low,but I was wondering are bass still catchable during winter or so what techniques should be used?,I went out today to Panther lake got one but my rings on my pole were freezing up,lol,atleast I didn't leave home empty handed,I left with one 1 1/2-2 pound bass and frozen hands.and advice would help,thanks!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Winter bass fishing??

Post by Amx » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:11 am

Yes you can catch Bass year around in this state, and every state that has bass, they have to eat year around. [biggrin]

Just slow down a lot.

There are a few threads on the subject, try to look for them in the Bass Fishing Forum, lots of info in those threads.

Drops shot, jigs, carolina rig, slip/splitshot rig, SLOW crankbaits, jerk baits with LONG pauses. Use a scent on the worm/lure, that can help.

Rocks, deep water docks, flats, weeds, stumps, logs. And yes they can be shallow at times in the winter.
Tom.

Interests: living

AlexanderS
Petty Officer

Post by AlexanderS » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Thanks!,I'll give it try with a lot of patience from what I heard:)

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:30 pm

Yup. As the saying goes: "If you think you are fishing too slow, then slow down some more." [laugh]
Tom.

Interests: living

bass kickin redneck
Petty Officer

Post by bass kickin redneck » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:29 pm

Amx wrote:Yup. As the saying goes: "If you think you are fishing too slow, then slow down some more." [laugh]
Lol for sure and try bigger baits they dont want to chase something thats not worth the energy
Shut up and fish

ImaFrayedKnot
Petty Officer

Post by ImaFrayedKnot » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Saw this post and it got me to thinking... what's this abnormal weather doing to our fish on the east side of the state? I can't believe we don't have snow on the ground out here around Spokane. Anyone been out on the lakes with any luck lately?

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:43 pm

Yes you catch bass in the winter IF you live in an area the lakes don't freeze over. Catching anything but very small bass through the ice is a tuff thing to do and in most cases a waste of time. But if you have open water you can catch em.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi guys, sorry but now that I live in Louisiana, I don't get on much. Still, I wanted to chime in on this one. I must disagree that you cannot catch big bass through the ice. It is just not true.

When I lived in Northern Utah, I had a spot on Deer Creek Reservoir that produced LMB over 5 pounds every winter through the ice. I found an old sunken tree in about 30 feet of water, on the edge of a drop off. The bass was released, the Walleye and yellow perch were not. LOL

In Idaho, it was common to ice fish in the Eastern part of the state. We were fishing for trout but most of the lakes had LMB in them also. If we found a deep weed line, then catching both was common, and good bass over three pounds was not uncommon.

In Colorado, if the lake had LMB in it and it iced over, then looking for a standing tree in deep enough water to hold wintering fish would yield good LMB, Walleye, Crappie, etc. Pueblo Reservoir was a prime example. At the time, I considered catching SMB and LMB to 5 pounds was, well, not catching small fish.

The key to all of the bigger fish was to look for cover, holding cover, cover that would have feed as well as protection.

Most of the time this cover was deeper, but keep in mind, under ice the warmer water is at the bottom, usually 39 degrees, and the oxygen is normally better there also.

This is just my observation from years of moving around, fishing everywhere, learning. So yes, you CAN catch bass, LMB and SMB, in the winter, and though the ice, and sometimes really good ones.