Bass Replica/ taxidermist/ NEED HELP!!!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
joetucker803
Petty Officer

Bass Replica/ taxidermist/ NEED HELP!!!

Post by joetucker803 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Hey guys,

I'm adamant about catching and releasing the big ones, and making sure they are well handled before releasing them -- especially during the spawn.

That said, I've got a delima and would really like some feedback! As you may have seen, I caught my personal best last week, and am very excited about getting it replicated and put on my wall. One problem I am running into with a few of the taxidermists is that they use pre made blanks, and then paint the fish based on pictures. I know they try to match up a mold as well as possible, but perhaps I've got some really weird measurements because finding someone with a mold that fits my fish is proving to be hard.

I have a fairly expensive digital scale. I test it every year with weights from my weight bench and it is always spot on. I measured this fish twice, and it locked in at 7.41 both times. I also got a very crude measurement with a tape measure right before letting her go back to her spawning grounds.

I'm certain it is 7.41 pounds. Almost positive it is right at 22 inches. I didn't have a chance to get the girth, but based on the formula: WEIGHT = LENGTH x GIRTH2 / SHAPE FACTOR, I am calculating the girth at around 18.75 inches. That's what it figured out to using the equation. And it was FAT. She was a spawner and looked like she was ready to burst, one of the fattest ones I've ever caught.

One place I contacted wanted to sell me a 400 dollar replica with the specifications of: 25 inches, 20 inch girth, based on an 8 ish pound fish. I told them, "This is not the fish I caught. This is a fish still swimming around that bares a completely different appearance than the one I caught. Why would I pay 400 dollars for a replica of something that is so far off from the fish I caught?"

My questions to all my fellow anglers is:
1) Any advice on any taxidermists that will create a true replica, based on my exact measurements? Not just one that wants to use a blank mold that does not resemble my fish at all.

2) Has anyone ever run into this situation, and what did you do?

3) I'm extremely anal about weights and measurements, and picture taking. I DON'T tell fish stories. I hate those who do. So I am meticulous about when I tell someone about a fish, that it is accurate information. That said, to all of you professional bass fisherman, do my actual measurements sound accurate for a very fat spawning female.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. I have contacted so many different taxidermists and have yet to find one I trust to do the job. For me, dropping 400 dollars is a big expenditure, that I want to do, but for my family, it is a large chunk of money.

Thanks to anyone who can help ahead of time!

Joe

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Bass Replica/ taxidermist/ NEED HELP!!!

Post by Amx » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:39 pm

It sure looks like a 7.41 to me. And the 'tables' people have 'made up' don't fit EVERY fish out there. And I also hate liers, and not just in fishing, in any and all categories.
Tom.

Interests: living

joetucker803
Petty Officer

Post by joetucker803 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:19 pm

Know anyone that does quality reproductions? :)

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:20 pm

No I don't, wish I did, I could have gotten my 10 pounder done back in '94.
Tom.

Interests: living

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:25 pm

Joe,
Looking at the pictures and hearing your measurements do sound right for a nice prespawn female. I would say your weight on the scale matches what it says for the fish. As for the replica that may prove to be a tougher choice. I commend you on going the replica route instead of keeping it for a skin mount. Best idea is to shop around. unfortunately itll prove hard to find an exact replica.

arniejl
Warrant Officer

Post by arniejl » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:43 am

I caught an apparent oddball sized smallie last year and had the same issues. There is no form even close to the dimensions of my fish. I got sent a link to a guy who does great work: http://www.davecampbellfish.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know if you have checked him out, but he was willing to cut down a form for my fish, at my cost, of course. I believe he told me his turn around time was over a year, which did not bother me, but by the time I was done it would have been over a thousand bucks. I got the money, hopefully, the time, but I was not willing to spend that kind of money on a fish that still would not be exact.

So, now, time has past. I don't think about it and really do not care anymore. I will always catch and release on account of the fact that someone else, most likely, released her...probably many times. Would rather see her swim than to see her on my wall.

Congrats on the pb! Congrats on making the right decision to release her! Good luck on your quest to find a form!

joetucker803
Petty Officer

Post by joetucker803 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:16 pm

Hey thanks guys for all your replies. At least I know that I'm not the only one that has found themselves in this situation. Arnie, I will check out your recommendation and see how much money that might set me back -- And, even if I can't get this fish mounted, I'm still happier knowing she's still swimming around. Who knows, maybe she'll be 8+ next time I catch her. Like I said I do appreciate all the advice!

Joe

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:51 pm

Not sure what your looking for but everyone has their favorite guy.
I have seen his work and a lot of folks think he is perhaps the best fish guy in the state.

http://fishdesigntaxidermy.com/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;