Lake Terrell Bass help

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Deezil
Angler

Lake Terrell Bass help

Post by Deezil » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:08 am

Hi, new here, kayak fishing some local lakes up in Whatcom county, Terrell is so weedy, any tips on what to use and maybe some location tips? Anyone crawdad out there? I was going to throw a pot in but wasnt sure where.

Thanks

Deezil
Angler

Re: Lake Terrell Bass help

Post by Deezil » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:25 am

Or maybe a better local lake? Going to be on a tiny boat, so dont want to go into too big of a lake, its human powered, haha

Sundolphin Aruba 10 Kayak affordable way to play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0cxl_oF-hU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:48 pm

First a disclaimer: I haven't fished Terrell, and there are a bunch of more qualified bass anglers on this site than I am [sad] . That said, my son did well today at another weedy lake with the Zoom Horny Toad in Blk/Yellow Swirl. It's a soft plastic, heavy enough to cast weightless, and when Texas rigged moves through pads and grass very well. Over the grass or pads and slow down over any openings. It's inexpensive and well worth adding to your tacklebox.

Swim jigs also navigate weeds well. I was running a buzzbait over the tops of the weeds and through the pads and also had a decent day. Good luck!

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:58 am

Fishing Terrell can be difficult with all of the weeds. Spinner baits do alright going around logs/lilys if you find some semi-open water. When I was there catchin fish I was casting weightless plastics (senkos/worms) and let them slowly sink with maybe a few small twitches and thats how I was catching them. pulling/working lures is difficult through all the thick weeds. even if you have weedless set-ups you will pull weeds up. Weedless topwater frogs are great for extreme weedy conditions, but if they arent hitting topwater then you gotta try something else.
I caught a LMB 6-7lber a month or so ago at Terrell with a weightless bright green 7 inch worm set up weedless with a lizard hook.
Also, 6 inch white senkos have been doing pretty good this year for me, as well as 4 inch black or darker/pumpkin colored ones.
Hope this helps Good luck and hope you catch some fish!
Tight lines!

Jamesb
Petty Officer

Post by Jamesb » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:33 pm

I have only been there twice this year ever but it is a weed pile if you try to run a minnow, crankbait or anything under the surface. I had good luck with floating minnow and buzzbait there. And swimming jig. If you try and fish plastics use heavy line there as you have to be able to pull the fish thru the junk there and there are a lot of small viney lily pads that will hang you up. Good luck there are some big fish in there got two 17" first time out. There are lot of bluegill in there too so got lots of hits from there while fishing for bass.

sbasser
Petty Officer

Post by sbasser » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:12 pm

If you use a heavy enough rod/reel/line, I'd suggest a 10" powerworm on a 5/0 EWG, with no weight. I have thown this on a 6'6" pitching stick/baitcaster/14 lb test copolymer...casts ok. Braided line would give a stout spinning rod a chance, with 20 or maybe 30 lb test. Just drag it across the emergent weeds, stopping and starting it every now & again. That or a frog. I think you'll get a better hookup ratio with the powerworm. If they blow up on it but miss it, let it sit a minute or more and wait for them to come back for another look. Braid straight to hook will be fine in heavy cover.

I haven't fished from a Yak, but have many hours in a canoe, and found baitcaters a bit clumsy feeling. Not so bad when the boat is pointing the same direction as the cast, but not comfy if crosswise. But my spine is pretty fubar, so that may be it. [unsure]