Carrot Stix

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Carrot Stix

Post by meandermeadows » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:22 am

I just discovered a bass rod, and the brand is called "Carrot Stix". Has anyone ever used one? If so, any thoughts? Are they worth a Benjamin?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-7-MH-MEDIUM-H ... Sw3YNXaJIR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fisken Morder!!!

dutchman2858
Commander

Re: Carrot Stix

Post by dutchman2858 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:57 am

I've only talked to one guy who had one. He was down in AZ and he really liked his, but I've never handled one personally.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:01 pm

I have no clue if they are great rods or junk, but the marketing hype in the description is 100% pure BS.

Using micro-spheres mixed with resin does not make anything stronger - just the opposite in fact. Micro-spheres are a filler and actually make for a lighter but significantly weaker and more brittle resin mix. They dont do squat for compression strength. Cellulose fibers are also used as a filler, although the cellulose is tougher than the micro-spheres and makes for a less brittle mixture, it is also much heavier but will be better in compression and tension than micro-spheres. Both are horrible as far as flex goes. You need actual glass, carbon, graphite or kevlar cloth or uni fibers of some sort for that.

They pretty much got everything ass backwards as far as the composite tech goes. That tends to make me back way off, but who knows.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:55 am

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a pair of these, 7' bass spinning rods today. I have a half dozen baitcasters but only two spinning rods that are suitable for bass; one is a cheap Quantum rods, and I broke the other on the first time out with it. The other is a 4 piece St. Croix that is really more of a steelhead rod. I bought it with the intention of hiking into Bear lake and fishing deep for Mackinaw. So it will be good to get two high quality bass-specific spinning rods. I also picked up a pair of brand new Pflueger spinning reels for $36. I believe they are the Monarch model and usually go for $44.99 each. Last year's model, big deal.

I will let you all know how they work out for me
Fisken Morder!!!

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:39 pm

Correction: Pflueger Endeavor reels, 6 BB. The Monarch is a 5 bearing reel, so pretty similar. Either way, $18 apiece is a great deal
Fisken Morder!!!

sbasser
Petty Officer

Post by sbasser » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:22 pm

Carrot Stix have a reputation for breaking with little provocation. I looked at one at the last Pulleypoop Sportsman's Show, but didn't spring for it. It was light and felt like it would work. I ended up buying a Denali, which is a nice rod. :)

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:07 pm

I will be taking them out for the first time on Wednesday, we'll see how I like em :)
Fisken Morder!!!

sbasser
Petty Officer

Post by sbasser » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:29 am

Good luck and good fishing! :fish:

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:08 pm

Well, I didn't end up going after all. My wife has some health issues and I needed to stay home. Hopefully I can get out this weekend, if not next week
Fisken Morder!!!