Catching Baby Bass

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
TrackerPro16
Commander

Catching Baby Bass

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:10 am

I am talking about the tiny babies. I am ALWAYS either surprised, startled or break out into a fit of laughter when I catch one of the itty bitty ones and lip them to get the hook out. I would swear the mouth is bigger than their length... I am always reminded of the cartoons where the mouth opens huge on one of the caricatures.

Any one else have a deal that makes you laugh when you are out on the water? Maybe forgetting you loosened the resistance way up on your bait caster and throw a monster birds nest? ](*,) :cheers:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Catching Baby Bass

Post by Amx » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:46 am

Yup.

A 4" senko, and 2 others;
Attachments
Baby Largemouth on Baby Spook.jpg
baby smallmouth Sept. 20, 2008.jpg
baby Largemouth with Senko cropped.jpg
Tom.

Interests: living

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:56 pm

That senko one is hilarious! haha

sbasser
Petty Officer

Post by sbasser » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:02 pm

That Senko bass reminded me of a 3" Smallmouth I caught on a 3" Senko. I didn't feel a bite. About 1/4 of the Senko was stuck down its throat, and no hook was involved! I had to squeeze the sides of the mouth at the hinges between thumb and index finger to open the mouth enough to get teeth disengaged and the Senko out. I caught another one on a small Rapala Skitter Pop that was the same length as the S'pop, about 3". Tiny bass are crazy brazen, especially SM... :scratch:

cucu4cohopuffs
Angler

Post by cucu4cohopuffs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Lol! I just got two baby bass this morning on a rooster tail. I was also surprised they were able to fit it in their mouth. One was 6 in. the other was 8. So much for bigger fish, bigger bait rule! [biggrin]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Yup, the small ones can get a treble in their mouth, then you play hell trying to get that treble back out.
Tom.

Interests: living

noah the angler
Petty Officer

Post by noah the angler » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:08 pm

the lake i fish, (hummel) I always catch little fish but there are some big ones! [thumbsup]