Early season bassin

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fisherman92
Lieutenant

Early season bassin

Post by fisherman92 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:06 pm

Anyone giving bass a shot recently or going to soon? I'm thinking of giving some shallower muddy lakes a try in the next week or so later in the day time. I'm hoping some high 40 temps in the day will warm smaller or shallower lakes a little sooner than others. Probably focus on some open water slow tactics using spinnerbaits, jerks, plastics, ect. Anyways seeing if anyone has bass fished in 2019 or if your planning on it soon. Any go to cold water early season bass tactics?
Tight lines!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Early season bassin

Post by Amx » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:02 pm

Drag a swim bait on the bottom and slow swim it off the bottom, drag a skirted jig on the bottom, dropshot slowly, yes drag a spinnerbait on the bottom as well as slowly swim it. Don't forget to slow swim shallow and mid depth crankbaits over rocky areas.
Tom.

Interests: living

knishino
Angler

Post by knishino » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:28 pm

I've tried Lake Sammamish several times since the beginning of the year, but I've yet to catch my first bass. I caught one tiny sculpin on a drop shot, but that's it! I fish out of a kayak. I've tried jerkbaits, drop shot, hula grubs, ned rigs, and A-rigs without any success. Will try a swim bait next time. Good luck out there! I can't wait for the water to warm up.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:33 pm

fisherman92 wrote:Anyone giving bass a shot recently or going to soon? I'm thinking of giving some shallower muddy lakes a try in the next week or so later in the day time. I'm hoping some high 40 temps in the day will warm smaller or shallower lakes a little sooner than others. Probably focus on some open water slow tactics using spinnerbaits, jerks, plastics, ect. Anyways seeing if anyone has bass fished in 2019 or if your planning on it soon. Any go to cold water early season bass tactics?
Tight lines!
I’d go drop shot and drag swimbaits at Goodwin. Unless it’s frozen over right now? Up in Whatcom Co. Fazon and terrell are still frozen over, and Samish has been very slow.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:12 am

Fished my buddies private ponds on Saturday. Fishing is about what you would expect right now. Slloowww, I got 3 bites for 3 fish.
Slow rolling a curly tail grub on a jig head.
I'm going to wait till night time temps come up a little before trying again.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Well gave lake washington a try today. Used various tactics mostly drop shot 35 to 65 ft. Ended up dropshotting night crawlers 60 to 85 ft and came up with lots of nibbles, 2 small perch and a trout. Great day to be on the water, plenty of fisherman out there. Mostly focused near south side of Mercer. Probably going to wait for a couple weeks of better temps and hunt for some largemouth somewhere.

8theB8
Warrant Officer

Post by 8theB8 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:25 pm

After the full moon this coming Wednesday we should be in business, especially with the accompanying warming trend! I have watched water temps rise from 39 to 44* on a couple of my local lakes over the past two weeks. Could be touching 50 to 52 by next Wednesday? I love this time of year, you may only get one bite but it could be one heck of a bass!

I've got a couple small muddy lakes to try this weekend, NE corners and slow moving vibrating baits, I've even hit them on buzzbaits and poppers in 50* water...just think shallow and wood/rock cover for largies. [thumbsup]

Also, don't be discouraged by a lack of reports...guys are catching bass but it's typically mums the word until April to keep the masses at bay for a while. [thumbup]

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:47 pm

Through the ice????? Where the heck are you fishing?