Spring Bass

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ussbirdman
Angler

Spring Bass

Post by ussbirdman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:26 am

Hey all,

I'm relatively new to the fishing scene, particularly here in WA. As the waters begin to warm, I've been trying to find some fish hoping they are getting to the pre-spawn season. My understanding is that fish start moving out of deeper water as it nears 50-55 degrees. So far, I've had no luck. I haven't even seen any fish. Am I still too early? Water temps are still a bit down, but some I've tried have been around 50. I've tried a couple of different techniques but it is making me question whether I know what I'm doing. Help a brother out?

Techniques I've tried:
  • Drop shot rig with plastic worm (to get deeper)
    Rattling crankbait
    Spinnerbait
    Chatterbait
    Jig w/Grub

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Spring Bass

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:27 am

techniques;

1- great, use different size worms , 3" to 6". 20 feet deep to 5 feet deep

2- deep cranks, and mid cranks, but keep trying shallow cranks

3 - spinnerbait, deep, shallow not yet

4 - chatterbait, same

5 - jig, worm, ned rig, neko rig, all the same catagory - deep and mid and shallow.

deep - fish around rocks gravel outside deep weedlines, even if the weeds aren't there yet.

mid - off deep weed lines, deep docks, steep shorelines close to spawning flats, drop offs.

shallow - docks, rocks, gravel, inside weed lines, spawning flats, ditches, humps, swim platforms.
Last edited by Amx on Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:30 am

As far as the 'time', any day now they should bite better. I saw my first Bass shallow the other day, of course those don't bite, they are cruisers that are thinking spawning, but it's too cold, but it never hurts to toss a worm at them. Water temp is 53 plus so keep at it. Your top location would be spawning flats and deep water close to a flat.
Tom.

ussbirdman
Angler

Post by ussbirdman » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:52 pm

Thanks. I'll keep at it. Glad to know I'm working the right angles. I thought for sure I'd get some hits on the dropshot the other day...Are there any particular lakes you recommend? I'm in the Federal Way area. I've primarily been trying small local lakes like Doloff and then Tapps.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:54 pm

Any of the small lakes over there. Don't remember the names, and I've never fished any of them. Tapps of course can be great.
Tom.