Floating Fly Line

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tsath24
Warrant Officer

Floating Fly Line

Post by tsath24 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:42 am

Just ordered a completely new fly rod and reel set up...Hesitating on which fly line to get...Which ones have worked well for you and what ones do you recommend?

oneshot
Commodore

Re: Floating Fly Line

Post by oneshot » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:11 am

I too just ordered a cheap setup as well, PFlueger, complete setup with a few flies too.. had great reviews and most people said only thing needs to happen is replace the fly line.. is that the floating line? so new to this! i wanna learn though. where is a good place to get the line close to north seattle?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:20 am

oneshot wrote:I too just ordered a cheap setup as well, PFlueger, complete setup with a few flies too.. had great reviews and most people said only thing needs to happen is replace the fly line.. is that the floating line? so new to this! i wanna learn though. where is a good place to get the line close to north seattle?
There is a fly shop (Avid Angler I think) just north of you in the Lake Forest Park mall south/lower parking lot. just a couple doors north of Albertsons. They set me up - kind of pricey (but really no more than any other fly shop I've been to) but nice people and wealth of knowledge.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:41 am

oh nice! thanks! i go that way home sometimes from redmond.. that's not far at all..

on a side note: GIJOES employees were no help at all but they had a crap ton of fishing gear and general man things.. ever since they closed its been struggle to get gear in Seattle, i hate having to drive down to sodo to outdoor Emp. thats a great store! and i love shopping there.. but its not convenient at all!

We need a outdoor emporium type store in northgate again.. BAD!! if someone opens it, i will manage it.. anyone?

i'm on a good roll at derailing your threads, tsath24!! sorry..
back to the original question and i have the same one..
whats a good fly line to get for a 5/6 weight rod/reel combo?

tsath24
Warrant Officer

Post by tsath24 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:10 am

oneshot wrote:oh nice! thanks! i go that way home sometimes from redmond.. that's not far at all..

on a side note: GIJOES employees were no help at all but they had a crap ton of fishing gear and general man things.. ever since they closed its been struggle to get gear in Seattle, i hate having to drive down to sodo to outdoor Emp. thats a great store! and i love shopping there.. but its not convenient at all!

We need a outdoor emporium type store in northgate again.. BAD!! if someone opens it, i will manage it.. anyone?

i'm on a good roll at derailing your threads, tsath24!! sorry..
back to the original question and i have the same one..
whats a good fly line to get for a 5/6 weight rod/reel combo?
Haha don't worry about it, like I said last time we're all here for resources.

An Outdoor Emporium/Sportco on the eastside near us would be heaven.... [drool] Definitely would manage that store with you haha. I just picked up a 4 weight rod and reel and looking for fly line as well...

Been looking into scientific angler line...but don't understand what's so special about it and why it's that expensive....

zen leecher
Commander

Post by zen leecher » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:36 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:
oneshot wrote:I too just ordered a cheap setup as well, PFlueger, complete setup with a few flies too.. had great reviews and most people said only thing needs to happen is replace the fly line.. is that the floating line? so new to this! i wanna learn though. where is a good place to get the line close to north seattle?
There is a fly shop (Avid Angler I think) just north of you in the Lake Forest Park mall south/lower parking lot. just a couple doors north of Albertsons. They set me up - kind of pricey (but really no more than any other fly shop I've been to) but nice people and wealth of knowledge.
Take your rod over to Avid Angler and ask them to test out some of the demo lines and that way you will have a chance to see which best suit your casting style. Depending on if you are fishing lakes or streams or the surface or down in the water column will also affect your line choices.

Also, don't forget Ted's in Lynnwood on 99.

tsath24
Warrant Officer

Post by tsath24 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:52 am

zen leecher wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote:
Take your rod over to Avid Angler and ask them to test out some of the demo lines and that way you will have a chance to see which best suit your casting style. Depending on if you are fishing lakes or streams or the surface or down in the water column will also affect your line choices.

Also, don't forget Ted's in Lynnwood on 99.

Wow that's pretty cool that they have demo lines for you to test out...I think I might be making the trip there myself for a recommendation. [thumbsup] Thanks for the tips!

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Personally, I like a weight forward for distance casting like dryfly fishing lakes but like a double taper if doing more streamside and small river fishing.

Nice thing about a double taper is you give up a bit of casting distance but if you are fishing streams that double taper fly line will be getting banged up a bit on rocks and such during drifts and casts so when it gets a bit worn you can just undo your nail knot and flip it around so the worn section is now tied into the backing. Now you have a nice newer front half again to work with. Almost like getting the use of 2 fly lines for price of one.

The weight forward you can't flip it around cuz all the weight to shoot the line is in the front half.

Personally if I'm new to things and want to get more wear and tear out of a line I'd probably go with the double taper.

I prefer a floating line too if I can get away with it. If fishing depth in lakes it won't work but who cares! Dry fly fishing and matching hatches is more fun anyway. :cheers: