new to Washington

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tyefly
Angler

new to Washington

Post by tyefly » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:21 pm

Hello to all........ New to Washington fishing..... New to the Cowlitz river where I bought a house..... location is inbetween the blue hachery and the barrier Dam ( i think its called that.....) anyway..... ok what size of rod to use..... I have many but 8wt spey, or 10 wt spey or hey let me know ( please dont tell me it depends on what your fishing for..... If I fishing for cutts...well lOL I guess I can use anything....LOL bamboo people.....

Is there spring run..... I think steel all year long....boy washington reg are hard to read.... and lots of them....

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: new to Washington

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:14 pm

The regs are a buggar!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Springers, coho, and steel. You're in a great location!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:44 am

I'd be thinking 8wt ish for bigger fish and summer run steel, 5-6-7 what ever you feel comfortable with! What a great spot for a house. Just down around the corner from Blue Creek is where I've seen many folks swinging a fly. I haven't hit the river with a fly rod yet but sounds like it could happen in the future. [thumbsup]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

tyefly
Angler

Post by tyefly » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Thx I am up from the blue hatchery just a little bit and across the river..... I still throw lead, and floaties.....LOL Saw a lot of fish in the water a few weeks ago.... now seeing some really spent fish..... I was researching the lakes above the cowlitz and I was surprised to the types of fish...... boy I have never caught or seen some of those fish before.... I fish from a kayak in lakes and well looking at the sizes of some of those fish up there,,,, I might just get a little knee knock pulling one of those up to the yak...... muskies..... what are those.....LOL.... dont have those where I come from.....

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Muskies, just think Wisconsin and other Northern states and Canada all the way over to NY. Here we have Tiger Muskies, a hybrid between Pike and Muskies that are the size of Muskies. Do an internet search for methods of fishing Muskies. And Youtube to watch. [biggrin]
Tom.

Interests: living

Seattlè Pat
Petty Officer

Post by Seattlè Pat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:56 am

I have fished a wide variety of water for pike and muskies too, mostly with a fly, but you are going to love going after steelhead and salmon and you are in a great spot to do it! I have lived in various places off and on but coming home to seattle was much anticipated just for the seasons of fun fish we have here. 8wt for steelhead, 10wt for springers. you will want a 7wt for summer runs. I would also hire an attorney because the Regs are really complicated and every year they change and seem to have new little twists and turns.
Huskies + Muskies * Coho = Seattle Love