Trout jumping like crazy, but seemingly not for food?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishSpotter
Angler

Trout jumping like crazy, but seemingly not for food?

Post by FishSpotter » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:03 pm

I have been to lakes where many fish are surfacing just before sunset, and I have seen trout jumping clear out of the water during the day, but recently I have seen large numbers of trout jumping like crazy and it seems like they aren't jumping for food...

I'm not talking about a fish now and then, but more like 5 trout jumping out of the water right about the same time, spread out around only 1-2 acres of the lake. I seriously counted 6 trout within 2 seconds, another 7 trout within 4 seconds...and this goes on for quite some time. They jump fairly often a few hours before sunset, then like crazy for 20 minutes or so before sunset.

Maybe they are feeding, but if so...I don't know what on. I can catch them earlier in the day, but not during this time.

Odd...and interesting.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Trout jumping like crazy, but seemingly not for food?

Post by Amx » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:10 am

Lately there has been herds/flocks of lots of little bitty insects flying over the water. Maybe the trout have been after those. And Mayfly looking things.
Tom.

Interests: living

Viper97
Angler

Post by Viper97 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:31 am

They look like black gnats to me around my neck of the woods. I can hear fish snapping all over the lake feeding on these things. Even seen a few trout rise to the occasion. (Mostly bluegills though.)

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:40 am

Viper97 wrote:They look like black gnats to me around my neck of the woods. I can hear fish snapping all over the lake feeding on these things. Even seen a few trout rise to the occasion. (Mostly bluegills though.)
Yep, match the hatch. The other reason trout or any fish jump is because something under them is trying to eat them.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

pisc8or2
Angler

Post by pisc8or2 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Look closely this time of year, they might be chasing a small ginger caddis about size 14-16 dry fly. The fly "hatches" by bursting through the surface and is hard to see on the surface. Usually late afternoon into early evening. Good luck

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:21 am

I've seen mosquitoes and other tiny bugs flying low to the water, morning and evening, and the trout go cirque du soleil on the surface. They are fun to catch at that time, either on a subsurface streamer fished quickly (remember, they are looking up) or a Rapala style subsurface lure. I wait for that time and sometimes catch 10-20 fish back to back, with not a strike on either side of that time.

jwswans
Angler

Post by jwswans » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:35 am

False Jumps ? Dear members, many fisherman leave many traps in flies and baits in rivers broken off ,these day that damage both fish & fishermen ,women waders clothing etc as well. I have noted that at natural feeding times in evening some fish thrashing from false hook ups (no angler on other end) by rivers, leaping several times > I have used a with a good camera to see dangled Hooks, Flies ,baits, in there jaws badly . please use heavy enough lines and systems that either bend the hooks enough to retrieve or use floats to River flows above bottom snags ? I was startled by a 20 lb king in klick that jumped all over the place because he picked up a baited lure and was very airiel backwards and forward for about 30 sec.i also saw others as well. Dumping all our baits on the bottom can cause serious probs? PS I have some nice new lures ! :)

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:26 am

Hmmmmm, first post, poor grammar, overstating the truth to the max.

Do I smell a troll on the site??????

"I have used a with a good camera to see dangled Hooks, Flies ,baits, in there jaws badly". POST THEM, let us judge the truth in what you say?

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Wasn't going to comment, but yeah...
So, anglinarcher: Bow-fisherman?

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:59 pm

Verry little. Many years ago my youngest came up with it as a combo of my competition archery and bow hunting plus my addiction to all fishing.

Bow hunting still happens, competition done, fishing 3 day after I am dead.

fishkisser101
Angler

Post by fishkisser101 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:02 pm

Why do fish jump?

Because they don't have middle fingers...

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:08 am

Nice. It seems so, sir!