Coho flies

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishAddict
Petty Officer

Coho flies

Post by FishAddict » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 am

What's your goto patterns for targeting coho both in the rivers and sound? I need to start preparing [blink]

jonb
Commander

Re: Coho flies

Post by jonb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Number 1 choice by far- clouser. Blue, or purple over white.
Number 2 choice, wooley bugger/egg sucking leech purple/pink colour pattern
Number 3 choice is a crystal bugger, chartreuse

Mini jigs, christmas trees, copper leeches, hobo spey, squiddro, and even nymphed egg patterns work too although none are my cup of tea. Find a fly that moves through the water like a twitching jig and you'll catch coho with it. Swinging will occasionally work, stripping it through frog water is the way to go.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

Eglseder
Petty Officer

Post by Eglseder » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:03 am

I second the clousers! Love those things. I always have the red/white, blue/white, chartreuse/white...never done purple, but that probably needs to find its way into my box.

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks for the info. Haven't had much time to do anything outside of working 60 hours a week hoping to be back at the vise in a few days and get a chance to hit the beaches.

8-1 and 8-2 open in 24 days!

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:51 pm

FishAddict have you had any chances to hit any beaches for coho yet? I caught a nice one off an MA9 beach last weeked. Currently tying up some trailer hook clousers for those short strikes I always seem to get.

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:47 am

Sorry for the delayed response, work has been crazy. I did really well this season on 8-2 beaches but I fished almost every evening. Had to get a new catch card, no so lucky so far with fishing the rivers. I've seen quite a few fish caught but haven't been able to connect with any. Hoping to make it out to the Skagit again this weekend depending on water conditions.