First time fly fishing, Montana

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
gonnahookit
Lieutenant

First time fly fishing, Montana

Post by gonnahookit » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Looking for some brief but informative guidance for fly fishing in Montana. My brother and I are escaping the daily grind for a week in late July, and although he's fly fished some in the past, I never have, and neither has my 10 yr old son.

I was looking at the Missoula or Butte areas (either works, although Missoula area looks better for camping).

Mostly just need information on a good place to go spend some time relaxing and learning something new, and hopefully catch some fish for the effort.

Also, I do hope for a spot to take the boy to catch some fish to bring home, I know a lot of the rivers in Montana are protected for good reason. This doesnt have to be the same locale, as we dont mind moving around a bit, and a lake with planters is fine, maybe even a place to rent a boat.

Any info greatly appreciated! Not looking for secret spots mind you, just some places that would be good to start learning and get away from the crowds of the western Washington rivers. [cool]

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: First time fly fishing, Montana

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:43 pm

I would start with going into a local fly shop. https://grizzlyhackle.com/

Buy a few simple things/flies. Express what you said here. If you put a few dollars in their register, they will be happy to set you in the right direction. And they will certainly know the locale as well as anyone.

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:18 pm

Already had planned in stopping in that store, actually, as it was recommended to me before, so thanks for the additional recommendation!

I guess what I am really looking for is a place to set up camp close to where we'll be fishing. We dont plan on moving around much as we'll only be there a few days, and want to maximize time on the water (unguided).

Local knowledge is great, but hoping to get as much as I can before we get there :cheers:

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:15 pm

Not sure if it will help, but the town of Darby, near Hamilton had some of the best (fly) fishing Ive ever experienced. My family settled that area, and is all over in the town museum. Blodgett Canyon was named after my great great uncle, Maxwell Blodgett. The population of Darby is unchanged.... around 700. Places to look for are the Bitterroot River, and specifically the Tin Cup Creek. I haven't fished that area since my great grandfather brought me out in the surrounding hills as a kid. The Sawmill Saloon is a great place to grab a drink when coming back from a day's adventure. (great pin ball machines if I remember correctly) Ive been dying to get back there, google Darby, you wont be sorry.

Its like going for a hike, but every rock you see with a small edie behind it has a giant trout waiting for you.

My family's back yard was watered from an irrigation ditch, they would wait for us to water the lawn, so I could fly fish trout from the porch.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:41 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info!

jtluongo
Angler

Post by jtluongo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:53 am

If you can afford it, find an outfitter/guide. There's no knowldedge like local knowledge.