Good Rivers to fly fish for trout

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bairfishin
Angler

Good Rivers to fly fish for trout

Post by bairfishin » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:03 am

Hello,

I have been fishing most of my life, but a majority of that experience was in northern Idaho and Montana. I'm looking to take a couple or more weekend trips this summer to get back into fly fishing. I have no clue where to go, what to use, when is the best time. I live in Auburn but I am open to traveling to Central Wa, Tri-Cities, etc. I have a 9.5 ft, 5 weight rod with floating line. Back in ID this was a staple with either a Mt Adams (brown or grey), Royal Coachman, Royal Wulff, Elk Hair Caddis and Mosquito. Any advice on locations, tackle, and times to go would be greatly appreciated.

MGTom
Petty Officer

Re: Good Rivers to fly fish for trout

Post by MGTom » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:54 pm

I used to fish the Green up in the parks years ago, any of your flies plus a few wets should get you started. I don't know the seasons over there any more. There is so much to choose from in this state, bigger and open like the Yakima or small and brushy, like the Foss and Tucannon I like,just depends on what you like. Pick a local stream that's open with water you can access and just go. You'll find one you like soon. There are several good fly shops in your area. Go meet the people and talk to them about your preferences, I'm sure for the price of a couple flies you'll get a lot of info to get you started.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:18 am

Check out the Cedar River between Renton and Black Diamond. It's a C&R river with lots of easy access. You can also go fish the forks of the Snoqualmie river. There are other options all around you, but those are the ones I'm more familiar with. Like Tom mentioned, go seek out a fly shop and they can point you in the right direction as well. Creekside Angling in Issaquah is a pretty good one.

Additionally, the Yakima between Cle Elum and Yakima is very popular. Google "Red's Fly Shop" They're a good resource too.

bairfishin
Angler

Post by bairfishin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:20 pm

Thank you MG and Bent! Appreciate it.