Legal flies for fly fishing only locations

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fisherman92
Lieutenant

Legal flies for fly fishing only locations

Post by fisherman92 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:48 pm

I'm not much of a fly fisherman but do a little. My question is for "fly fishing only" can you use flies that have metal eyes tied in them?
On that note, can you fly fish with small jigs with metal heads? I doubt it but the regs don't have the best description.

Thanks!

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Re: Legal flies for fly fishing only locations

Post by branweeds » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:54 pm

Yeah all of those flies are fine. If you tie a fly onto a jig head I don’t see why that would be any issue. If you were using a crappy jig with a grub on it you’d probably get a ticket. You do have to make sure that all your flies are completely barbless in fly only lakes, I have a buddy that was fishing on an east side fly only lake and got checked by a game warden. The warden took the flies they had on and stuck them through the fabric on his shirt, and gave a ticket to one of the guys who’s fly snagged them fabric a little because he didn’t get the barn fully pinched.

This time of year I like to troll around using black or purple jig/balanced leeches. I’ve been out on the river mostly but I was out a couple weeks ago and did pretty well for trout.