the limit for salmon on the puyallup???????

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
shardknight
Angler

the limit for salmon on the puyallup???????

Post by shardknight » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:32 pm

SALMON Aug. 10-Dec. 31 Min. size 12". Daily limit 6. Up to 2 adults plus 2 additional PINK may be retained. Release wild adult CHINOOK. will some one explain this to me.is the limit 8?

gfakkema
Commander

Re: the limit for salmon on the puyallup???????

Post by gfakkema » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:20 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Also, just to clarify, on page 12 of the regs...

YOU MAY NOT:
Continue to fish for SALMON after the adult portion of the daily limit has been retained.

So basically, you have to catch your 2 Jacks BEFORE your adult limit is reached.

For example, if you catch 2 pinks and 2 coho (or 2 adult fish and 2 pinks, or 4 pinks etc) then you CANNOT continue fishing for jacks. Basically, you get 4 adult fish, PERIOD.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

shardknight
Angler

Post by shardknight » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:51 pm

thanks

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:50 pm

What I find confusing is the use of the word "additional" when they mention pinks. When I read the rules listed above, I think it means a limit of 6 plus two additional pinks for a grand total of 8 fish.

For example, in the salt water regs for area 6 it says the following:
CHINOOK - min. size 22". Other SALMON species - no min. size. Daily limit 2
(combined) plus 2 additional PINK. Release wild CHINOOK, wild COHO, and CHUM.
I read that to mean you can catch a total of 4 fish in area 6 - your two fish limit plus two pinks.

The Puyallup rules read the same to me, so I would say you can keep up to 8 fish in the correct combination. Still, it is confusing so a call to WDFW for clarification might be a good idea.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:51 am

Larry3215 wrote:What I find confusing is the use of the word "additional" when they mention pinks. When I read the rules listed above, I think it means a limit of 6 plus two additional pinks for a grand total of 8 fish.

For example, in the salt water regs for area 6 it says the following:
I read that to mean you can catch a total of 4 fish in area 6 - your two fish limit plus two pinks.

The Puyallup rules read the same to me, so I would say you can keep up to 8 fish in the correct combination. Still, it is confusing so a call to WDFW for clarification might be a good idea.

But it doesn't read the same, for the Puyallup it states -

'Min size 12". Daily limit 6. Up to 2 adults plus 2 additional PINK may be retained. Release all wild adult CHINOOK.'

Unless you are catching jack salmon - you can keep up to 4 on certain parts of the Puyallup

It is important to note that this limit of up to 4 (including the 2 additional PINK) ONLY applies to waters downstream from the Main St Bridge.

Starting this year - there are NO 2 additional PINK added to the daily limit from the Main St Bridge upstream to the Carbon. Limit is 2 - total.

You also want to be mindful of dates CLOSED on sections of the river for tribal netting. They are posted on the WDFW website as well as in the current printed WA Sport Fishing Rules

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:30 am

LOL. Thats a third way to read it then :)

To me it reads that the limit is 6. Only two of those 6 can be adults PLUS two additional pinks for a total of 8. So I read it as 4 jacks plus 2 adults plus the two additional pinks = 8. OR it could be 6 jacks plus two additional pinks or 5 jacks, one adult plus two additional pinks, etc etc.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:28 am

Last edited by gfakkema on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:22 am

Larry3215 wrote:LOL. Thats a third way to read it then :)

To me it reads that the limit is 6. Only two of those 6 can be adults PLUS two additional pinks for a total of 8. So I read it as 4 jacks plus 2 adults plus the two additional pinks = 8. OR it could be 6 jacks plus two additional pinks or 5 jacks, one adult plus two additional pinks, etc etc.
I can see where it is confusing the way it is worded - but the devil is in the details..

The daily limit is 6. Period.

Two adults are allowed - plus two additional pink - making a possible total of 4 adult fish (at least 2 being pink) as part of the 6 fish limit.

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Post by fishindude » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:52 am

I see both sides of the argument. If I was to fish there, I'd call WDFW like Larry said. I think Stacie works for WDFW and I saw her post this on Facebook.

Stacie Kelsey

August 10 at 11:22am · Gresham, OR.

I received a response from Oly on the Puyallup 6 fish limit rule and how it applies to Pinks:

6 Fish limit - up to 2 Adults plus two pinks
You can have:
1 chinook/1 coho + two pinks
2 chinook + two pinks
2 coho + two pinks
4 pinks

2 jacks make up the six

You cannot have 6 pinks.

Pinks are considered adults.

If you catch your adult limit you are done.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:57 am

pinks 2 adult (pinks are adults) + 2 additional pinks = 4 pinks. Make sure of where you are because part of the Puyallup IS ONLY 2 Adults no additional.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Blunatic
Petty Officer

Post by Blunatic » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:50 pm

I am going to help put this one to rest!
Lots of good replies above!!!
Usually the limit on the Puyallup is 2 adults , during pink years, (every other year) you are allowed 2 additional pinks but EVERY pink is considered an adult! so....ultimately Your limit is 4, (unless you are lucky enough to get a jack king or coho before you get your adult limit), People see the #6 in the regs and get a woody, they want to rationalize any way they can to take home 6! I see guys with 4 pinks on the stringer and say they can still fish for jacks or flat tell me off and say they get to take home 6 fish.....Idiots!!!

Also,.....If your Jack is a wild king then you have to release it too.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have actually made this mistake before and paid the price!

So in summary, your limit is 4 adults, only 2 may be King or Coho plus 2 pinks

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:13 pm

Another example of very poorly worded rules :)

So how many fish can you keep in area 6 and the other areas when the rule reads like this?
That is exactly the same wording as the Puyallup rule :)

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:09 pm

Same wording - almost.

Area 6 - Daily limit 2 (combined) plus 2 additional PINK.

Notice it is all one sentence?

Puyallup River - Daily limit 6.

Then it goes on to tell you what you can keep out of the 6 -

Up to 2 adults plus 2 additional PINK may be retained.

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:17 am

Last edited by gfakkema on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:32 am

Hey Larry don't ask questions if you are just going to argue with the answers. Why do you need 8 fish anyways the limit is 2 jacks, 2 adults plus 2 additional pinks for a grand total of 6. But hey go ahead and try to catch eight and if you are lucky enough to do so I would like to hear your explanation to the wards about how YOU read the rules

HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Post by HULI_ISDA » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Isn't 8 fish limit a day is a little to much for dinning consumption anyway? [thumbsup]

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:23 am

riverhunter wrote:Hey Larry don't ask questions if you are just going to argue with the answers. Why do you need 8 fish anyways the limit is 2 jacks, 2 adults plus 2 additional pinks for a grand total of 6. But hey go ahead and try to catch eight and if you are lucky enough to do so I would like to hear your explanation to the wards about how YOU read the rules
First of all, I wasnt advising anyone go out and catch 8 fish and I have no interest in doing so myself.

If you had read my posts a little more carefully, you would have realized that I was simply commenting on and discussing the poor wording of the rules. It was a question of interpretation, not a recommendation for action or a suggestion for anyone to go catch 8 fish.

Secondly, if you dont like the way a thread is going you could simply unsubscribe or choose not to comment in such a negative manner. Or, maybe you could find a more polite way to disagree with a fellow forum member. I dont mind hearing different opinions and disusing those differences. As long as everyone remains polite, it can be fun and informative. People have been known to learn new things on rare occasions.

If thats not the case for you, thats fine too, but I would ask you to let those of us who do enjoy it to be left to our fun.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:18 am

My apologize for sounding like such a snob. Didn't mean to spoil your fun I just get frustrated at the fact that some guys try to manipulate the rules in their favor. I guess I shouldn't jump to the gun and watch how I word things. We all have questions at some point whether you are new or just looking to explore new territory that is the reason we visit this website. I hope your question has been answered. Get out, have fun, catch some fish and make memories along the way you might even make good friends.
Tight lines everyone!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:47 am

That was a very classy reply. Thank you. :)