Salmon fishing opens on the Icicle River

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue May 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Action: Opens salmon fishing on the Icicle River (Chelan County)
Effective dates: May 21, 2011 through July 31, 2011
Species affected: Chinook salmon

Daily limit: Daily limit three salmon, minimum size 12 inches.
Location: Icicle River, from the closure signs located 800 feet upstream of the mouth to 500 feet downstream of the Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery Barrier Dam.
Reason for action: In-season run analyses predict that over 9,000 salmon (6,000 adults, 3,500 jacks) will return to the Icicle River. Although upper Columbia River spring Chinook have been listed as endangered under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), the salmon returning to the Icicle River are Carson stock and not listed under the ESA. About 1,000 salmon are needed to meet hatchery broodstock. The 2011 return ensures that the hatchery will meet its escapement needs; the remaining fish will be available for harvest.
Other information: Night closure will be in effect. Release fish with one or more round holes punched in the tail of the fish (caudal fin).
Information contact: Bob Jateff, District 6 Fish Biologist, Twisp, (509) 997-0316 or Jeff Korth, Region 2 Fish Program Manager, Ephrata, (509) 754-4624.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Salmon fishing opens on the Icicle River

Post by natetreat » Mon May 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Anybody have an idea of the bank fishery up here? I've only been once, but rumor has it it's pretty combat.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue May 24, 2011 12:56 am

Not a salmon guy but when I moved here from the south we used to spend the summers on the Icicle. Wasn`t any salmon fishing on the river then. Closest to that was the dam at the hatchery where the natives slayed the salmon. Haven`t been there in a few years but the Icicle is small can`t imagine combat fishing there.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue May 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Its mostly a drift boat show. I think the shore access is a bit limited. When the fish are in there it can be lights out at times. I have never fished it, but always wanted to give it a try.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:19 am

There is only a handful of places to fish from shore... Its still early. Went out once (drift boat) and nothing to brag about. PM me if you need some access ideas.
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Wed May 25, 2011 12:27 am

Now you got me wondering how in the heck you get a drift boat in there. Like I said I haven`t been there in a couple years but it was pretty rocky and big rocks at that. A guy would have trouble in a kayak.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed May 25, 2011 12:42 pm

The fishing is mainly an anchor show. There are a few prime deep holes that you anchor above and use bait on divers or plugs in. I think the runs are pretty short.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed May 25, 2011 4:52 pm

I fished the Yakima for Springers. I always want to try the Icicle. Can you fish above the dam at all. The Icicle is a pretty short area to fish before it turns into the Wenatchee. Do we show a map here of the fishing area? Also so much of the Icicle bank fishing is private property,and Im allergic to shotguns.Ive never really seen any fish above the Sleeping Lady lodge area. Just Brookies and trout.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed May 25, 2011 6:29 pm

racfish wrote:I fished the Yakima for Springers. I always want to try the Icicle. Can you fish above the dam at all. The Icicle is a pretty short area to fish before it turns into the Wenatchee. Do we show a map here of the fishing area? Also so much of the Icicle bank fishing is private property,and Im allergic to shotguns.Ive never really seen any fish above the Sleeping Lady lodge area. Just Brookies and trout.
You can fish above the damn, but you won't catch any salmon, just native trout. Any extra salmon are left in the lower section of the river and not moved to the upper section. The river is tame enough on most days to use a pontoon boat as long as you have an adequate anchor system. You can put in at the hatchery and take out at the river park in the city center. Bank fishing is pretty much regulated to the area just below the hatchery, get there early!

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Thu May 26, 2011 10:24 pm

That makes sense to me now. I thought you guys were talking about above the damn. That`s what had me puzzeled because it`s so rough and rocky up there. I`ve spent summers at Icicle River RV park and hiked up and down the river. The wardens used to sit on the mountain and watch the river for poachers. Seemed to me they should have been down watching the natives at the hatchery and making them clean up there garbage.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: Salmon fishing opens on the Icicle River

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri May 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Opens again tomorrow: May 19, 2012 Any tips?
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... sp?id=1174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:50 pm

has anybody gone this year?

would love to pick someones brain that has fished this.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Each day on a river is different ! Go make your guys own report dont wait on others, for all you know they could be absolutely slaying fish right now, or it could be dead ! GL :cheers:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:21 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:Each day on a river is different ! Go make your guys own report dont wait on others, for all you know they could be absolutely slaying fish right now, or it could be dead ! GL :cheers:
Cause I don't have time to drive 3 hours just to find out the conditions suck and nothing is happening. Also, what if I don't have the right gear and show up with stuff that won't work. Just trying to be prepared before I make the trek across 2 mountain passes. Needless to say, your post was useless.

ski4life
Angler

Post by ski4life » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14 pm

iv ben fishing the icicle all year from the shore in my secret spot have caught three the first week of the season it slowed down for a wile and is starting to pick up now the river temp is up a bit so the fish should start movin up. seen quite a few fish caught on sat the 30th. i missed sunday but went out today and hooked in to 1 siting there all day but lost it at the shore. get out there you cant catch a fish unless your line is in the water!
cant catch them if your line isnt in the water!