Green River (fishing updates and fish photos)

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
uavitaliy1
Petty Officer

Green River (fishing updates and fish photos)

Post by uavitaliy1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:07 am

Anyone get any bites because it seems like it's still dead out there?
Enjoy your fishing, updates would be good!

cosme9242
Angler

Re: Green River (fishing updates and fish photos)

Post by cosme9242 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:32 am

Just came from there. With the river running high and the water clarity going down hill fast all the fish have headed for cover. A lot of floating debris and only seen one fish rise.

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:42 pm

Did a limit on Monday all the standard 5-7lbs hatchery fish. Tuesday I caught my first nice native probably around 10lbs they always seem to be late to class in this river and of course both days I had chum. Tuesday I released a hen that was probably around 15lbs. I guess I could have given it to a neighbor or put it in the garden but I would prefer to see more fish rather than less. Going down today for a few to check it out since I love fishing turd brown water!

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Jim are you twitching and going at first light? I've scratched out 3 coho since finally getting out not long ago (all mid day purplish jig twitchers) but the fish aren't as thick as I saw them earlier in September and have been a bit shy sometimes following but not following THROUGH. I'm with you on the colored water. Duw/Green sometimes runs a bit clean so nothing like a little less visibility to embolden them buggers. Two were small, around 22 inches (one hen one buck) and one around 27 I think (buck). Haven't been out at all this week yet.

Hope that finger blister from the eggrolls a couple years back is a distant memory :P. :cheers:

After reading you are getting some I may have to get back out. The Mrs wasn't thrilled with the 0 for 2 last two trips LOL. [blush] I can't seem to hit consistency on coho, probably partially due to not getting up early enough cuz work a late shift.

Keep it up out there. :salut:

uavitaliy1
Petty Officer

Post by uavitaliy1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:07 pm

Jumpinjim which part of the river did you fish?
And what setup did you use?
It's good that there is some action!

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:32 am

Nah, all my trips out have been based only on my available time. Between wife, work and kids, I can only break off 20-30 minutes here and there either just before work or just after. My personal favorite this year was a chum that was on the swing, total dangler, I figured the show was over and was ready to move down river a bit, started stripping and it was on.

The eggroll burn really is something I would prefer to forget. My hand still has different colored skin in that area.

I would hold off on going out for a while, yesterday it was pretty dead, I released 2 chum and thought I had a silver for a moment but it gave the head shake and was off before I could really know what it was, so I went home empty handed too. I was out for about 45 mins total.

I am heading down to the Satsop this weekend, gonna drift from Decker Creek to the Bridge and see what I can find down there.

uavitaliy1
Petty Officer

Post by uavitaliy1 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Anyone try the new section of green river? Any fish?

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:00 am

Fished for 3 hrs yesterday, missed a few bites and overall it was slow for me. Saw a bunch hooked and landed, mostly chum but a few decent coho color wise. All chum were boots that i saw. Some wonderful person had wasted a hen, was left lying on the grass whole where i parked, must have started spilling her eggs so they dumped her. Also came across a live ~15lb buck chum tied off to tree, asked around and other anglers said it had been there all day and nobody claimed the poor thing so i let it go. WTF is wrong with people. Other than that was happy to be out fishing.

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:55 pm

What is this new section of the green river you speak of?

I drifted down to Hwy 18 on Sat and did well. There were gang busters of folks flossing and harvesting up and down the river which was cool to see. My favorite was sitting just above Metzler we were releasing a nice 10ish lbs chum hen and a guy pops out of the woods and says, hey if your going to release that can I have it, I got space on my card. I laughed because it was no chrome fish, and they guy says I just want the Eggs, but the fish will make great fertilizer. Amazing.

Anyways I post this update because there is a Log down on the river that you have to push your boat over. At certain flows 1600+ you can slide over the left side and at lower flows you are going to be pushing up and over it. The log is just before the bend where the old log you had to go under was (ie Burns Creek Bend).

Now off this subject and onto the new one, where is this new section of the green? Are you saying that they are opening the access above HH? Wow what a massive trout fest that would be. Please do share, I love getting the latest deets from folks here.

uavitaliy1
Petty Officer

Post by uavitaliy1 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Sorry. I ment the section that opened past hwy 18. How's metzler doing?

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Wow jerry. Not sure about that. I heard his prognosis for recovery required serious changes in lifestyle that sounded impossible to adhere too without either a 12 step program or some type of 3rd party intervention.... I sure do hope he gets well though.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:01 pm

jumpinjim wrote:Wow jerry. Not sure about that. I heard his prognosis for recovery required serious changes in lifestyle that sounded impossible to adhere too without either a 12 step program or some type of 3rd party intervention.... I sure do hope he gets well though.
I saw Metzler this morning. He was blowing chunks and his color didn't look to good. I think he had to much to drink last night. It's a dam shame.

Jungle Jim
Angler

Post by Jungle Jim » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:47 pm

When I am checking the water level for the Whitney Bridge to Hwy 18 drift, which station should I be concerned with? The Palmer station or the Auburn station? Jumpin Jim mentions a log that you would need to go over at 1,600 + cfs, so I want to be sure which station that level is coming from. Also, I have never floated the Green before, and would like to know at what gauge height the river is unfishable. I understand that it needs to be dropping to have correct color, but is there an upper limit where it would be unsafe and/or unproductive? Thanks in advance.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:18 pm

I usually go by the Auburn station. I'm familiar with what the numbers correlate to in that area so I can make a determination on how the rest of the river looks from the numbers at that station. My "sweet spot" for the Green is between 900-1200 cfs at the Auburn station.

Hepker
Petty Officer

Post by Hepker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:21 pm

i fished the green a few times last fall at or above hwy 18. was wondering if fishing for chum below there is worthwhile?