Anyone else had a horrible Coho season?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
For Reel
Petty Officer

Re: Anyone else had a horrible Coho season?

Post by For Reel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:42 pm

My work put a huge damper on my coho fishing. When we did get out there we almost always got our limits.

King season was flat out sad, and doing my best to forget it with the exception of a monster of a King I caught at Sekiu. Too bad it was out of season.

Hepker
Petty Officer

Post by Hepker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:01 pm

i have enough coho on my card to count as one limit. for one day. [thumbdn]

TheRealSalmonerd
Petty Officer

Post by TheRealSalmonerd » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:29 pm

I Killed 40+ coho this season from the bank, and released several as well, but I have my little spots pretty dialed. I could clearly tell, as a whole, there were not a lot of coho around. Kings went great for me, filled 1 1/2 cards with the damn things.... Hopefully a few winter steelhead show up in the puget sound rivers this year.

How about that naselle return..... WTF?
Attachments
IMG_5021.JPG
IMG_5021.JPG (37.48 KiB) Viewed 4984 times

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:42 pm

Well I filled 2 cards on kings. Most of which are still in my freezer. And I have already killed 50 silvers. [tongue] I don't care if most of them all go to waste, after all it's legal.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:55 pm

4steelhead wrote:Well I filled 2 cards on kings. Most of which are still in my freezer. And I have already killed 50 silvers. [tongue] I don't care if most of them all go to waste, after all it's legal.

You sir, are a major tool if that is how you conduct your fishing business. ](*,)

KING KONG COHO
Petty Officer

Post by KING KONG COHO » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:03 pm

Horrible season? Not really as they are all different and this one is one for the books! Like to stay close to my home river the Stilly ( 15 minutes from home) but with low water after it opened it can be tough! Never really gave it a thought since I was praying for rain and rain it did [rolleyes] The window I like to fish for Coho has closed on the Stilly ( one can only hope for clearing weather and a drop) but I know that water is not going to drop for a long time unfortunately! The other "S' system river Skagit I like to fish is another story :) A few trips with my friend with his sled twitching jigs in a few familiar places have given us a few memorable days! Early on a nice mix of hatchery and wild fish (4 fish limit) helped fill up that catch card quickly. Tough fishing on those warm bright days though... Overall the fish have been small 6-8 pounds and a few to 10-11 pounds but all dime bright! Tuesday this week we were the only boat in our area on a sloppy rainy day and it was quite easy! A ton of short strikers, a few dropped at the boat and lots of released fish and nice limits of 7-11 pound fish! Still waiting for the BIG Coho to show......... The best part Chum are starting to show which is always FUN in the mix as you never know what you're going to hook! O:)

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Post by c_saeteurn » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:09 pm

Last edited by c_saeteurn on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:50 pm

I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well. I actually have never been close to filling a card. It's just too much fish for me to eat, and my wife and I eat all the fish that I kill. What would anybody do with 40+ coho & 1 1/2 cards worth of kings anyway ???????
Last edited by 4steelhead on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

denhambruce
Petty Officer

Post by denhambruce » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:10 pm

While I applaud your guys' ability to catch fish, haven't you ever heard of catch and release???
Last edited by denhambruce on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:14 pm

I assumed it was a joke. After all who would seriously admit that?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:10 am

At the risk of opening yet another can of worms, and figuring the above probably was a joke, who's business is it how many fish a person catches and keeps? WDFW specifically allows us to purchase additional punch cards. I've got one bozo that PMs me every year blasting me because I catch and keep too many fish. I eat a lot of fish, and friends and family really appreciate getting fresh fish. So no fish are being wasted. Food banks will also take fresh fish.

There's wording in the regs on the proper way to document when you give another person your fish if you are in the field so WDFW is obviously OK with it.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:19 am

I just fished the "Salt" this year a few times, but only got a handful or so. Could have used a few more, but it is what it is.

Reference the comments on numbers of fish caught/kept: each individual's story is different. I can say, however, that while living in Kodiak I witnessed more than one fisherman get caught up in the "catching" with little thought as to the "using" the fish they caught. Lots of freezer burned fish and game got tossed in the dumpster.

If you, or anyone you give fish to, end up throwing away more than a package or two of freezer burned fish in the Spring, it's my opinion you killed too many.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:16 pm

+1

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:03 pm

I only went out a few times with other but I caught my limits. They seemed to be smaller this year.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

beeman
Petty Officer

Post by beeman » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:10 pm

What coho season ](*,)

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:21 pm

well finally filled my 3rd card, 13 were kings, rest are hatchery silvers with the exception of like 7, so Im just trying help out the WFC that's all...oh and my coworkers and neighbors stomachs, handed out smoked salmon instead of candy this year lololol

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:22 am

On the sound rivers it's been pretty rough, low water, high water... but Snohomish fish are usually pretty lockjaw on non-humpy years. On the coast, it's been awesome. When you can get out to fish and the rivers aren't blown, there are a ton of players.

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:47 pm

First year fishing for Salmon and I got skunked and shut down royally. Haven't caught a thing yet and maybe have had just a couple of small bites - that's about it for me.

I've gone out around 4 times which is really not that much so without putting time in I can't expect too much. So far I've done a ton of exploring, scouting, and making & collecting of gear. I've probably been too caught up with my inventory and gear and studying the theory behind everything rather than actually trying to hit the water. Next year I'll be ready to rock and roll the minute the season begins. I'll be hopefully setup for winter Steelies and am new to fishing that too. Won't expect to catch anything for a while until I really understand the rivers, water I'm fishing at (Sky, Snoho, & Duwamish), and most importantly, the fish I'm trying to catch!
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz

Cascadian
Petty Officer

Post by Cascadian » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:06 pm

It has been a pretty decent season for me and those I fish with. Kings were hard to come by and I had to venture south to find them. We never got on them in Puget Sound before MA9 and 10 were closed. Coho on the other hand has been pretty good. Maybe not quite as good as last year.. not as many limited out days on the salt and definitely smaller fish on average, but we still had some great days. On to the rivers, this is the first year that I have had boats that enabled me to fish rivers so I am still figuring things out there. We managed to scratch out a few on the Duwamish and lower Snohomish, but had some tough days as well.

All the rain has made it hard to find fishable water, but many rivers are still holding chrome bright 'hos. You might just have to venture outside of King County to find them.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:20 pm

locally in MA11 I had a hard time. MA12 was a total bust for me. MA9 and Sekiu were very kind to me. had a decent king year though down in MA11.