When to switch species

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ragibby
Petty Officer

When to switch species

Post by ragibby » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:22 am

Just curious, when do you all switch over from coho/chum and start fishing for winter steelhead? I'm not looking for specifics but it would be helpful if someone could let me know typically when to switch over (ie November, mid-November) I know last year I was CNR chums and stumbled upon winter steelhead but can't recall what month it was. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SkyRiverMan
Petty Officer

Re: When to switch species

Post by SkyRiverMan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:11 pm

in the most generic sense possible, Thanksgiving is traditional kickoff of Winter steelhead season.... traditional..... there will be fish before that, or maybe not... depends on where you are....

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:16 pm

I made the mistake of switching too early last year and missed out on a lot of chrome coho up into January but with all the rain this year it might be wise to switch earlier, usually thanksgiving but im waiting till the fall quarter ends so mid december

SkyRiverMan
Petty Officer

Post by SkyRiverMan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:44 am

for best success..... skip the self-imposed limits and schedules... do both! :cheers: :).. "B" Bohos and Steelies arrive daily through the end of the season......

sjrose24
Petty Officer

Post by sjrose24 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:00 pm

The rivers that still have the later run coho are typically larger in size too! [thumbup]

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:02 pm

Both species (Coho and Steel) like eggs, jigs and shrimp. Throw any of those out there and catch whatever bites!