Skagit water level

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
scraig1962
Petty Officer

Skagit water level

Post by scraig1962 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:27 pm

Anyone know how the river looks around Burlington or Mt. Vernon? I heard it was low but is it really as dry as they are saying it is? The article in The Seattle Times said the popular sand bars including the soccer fields are dry. Is the gardner launch area fishable with a prop? Just trying to plan ahead. I might try to rig up some oars on my lake boat if the river is really that low.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Skagit water level

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:40 am

We have a link to the Stream Flow web site. It's on the black menu bar, Links, then USGS Stream Flows.

Here is the direct link. It will have the Skagit listed:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/current?type=flow

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:07 am

Its at August levels, which is fairly low. If you look at the MV gauge it has been holding a few hairs above 13ft. The lowest I have ever taken the boat out at gardner is 10ft on the MV gauge. It was a few falls ago and it seemed like a good idea but as I got closer to the tracks it really shallows up and theres logs everywhere. Its not a good feeling zoomin by and seeing logs right under the water wonderin if the next ones going to take your prop. Dont go down to I-5, you will end up on a beach in the middle of the river. You might want to consider getting a prop protector, they save a lot of props. I have hit many logs n bars and am still on my first prop.
Whats the difference between Davy Crockett and Jack Daniels? Jack Daniels is still killing indians.

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:16 am

Thanks guys. Thats where I get the river levels also, but I didnt have a good baseline to compare to. Ive been there in August and I was running into logs right under I-5 so I will stay closer to gardner if I go next week when sockeye opens. I will look into a prop guard, but im starting to think I need a 3rd boat now with a jet just for rivers lol.

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:32 am

Last time I looked a prop guard was cheaper than a jet sled haha
Whats the difference between Davy Crockett and Jack Daniels? Jack Daniels is still killing indians.

scraig1962
Petty Officer

Post by scraig1962 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:57 am

Norm wrote:Last time I looked a prop guard was cheaper than a jet sled haha
Ya true.
I might just try to run with the trim up a ways next week. Do you run the ring style like this: http://www.propsavers.com/Prop%20Saver.html

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:09 pm

No mines the river runner. I have hit 6 or 7 logs, 3 gravel bars and a driveway. It was money well spent.