Samish River

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
simmsfisherman
Angler

Samish River

Post by simmsfisherman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Hello,

Anyone know when the kings roll into this river or ditch as some refer too it as. Thanks, and also have many people fished it for coho in the fall and steelies ?

Adam

spenny1823
Petty Officer

Re: Samish River

Post by spenny1823 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:39 pm

Not sure about the kings, but the coho would start showing up in september. My personal opinion if you want to fish for silvers or steelies go to the skagit.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Hatchery Steelhead in the Skagit may not be seen for some time. Won't have much luck targeting something that is not there. Native Steelies are completely of-limits there, no C&R fishing for them even.

Kings I believe are usually August - Sept in the Samish.
Steelhead as far as I know are all natives, not hatchery fish. Usually Nov-Dec.

If you haven't King fished the Samish before, look up some You-Tube videos of it. Full contact fishing at it's finest!

spenny1823
Petty Officer

Post by spenny1823 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:22 pm

Hatchery Steelhead in the Skagit may not be seen for some time. Won't have much luck targeting something that is not there. Wild Steelies are completely of-limits there, no C&R fishing for them even.
don't know how i forgot this.....

simmsfisherman
Angler

Post by simmsfisherman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Thank you all for the advice and information. I have seen the combat fishing. I am coming down from BC and we have it when our sockeye opens, as they rarely open them up on the fraser river and it is the same style of fishing but usually i am in a boat on the fraser... I just want to try a few and get a lunker out of there as our chinook tend to be a bit smaller down here... and looking to fish coho in other rivers and try fishing around wa state.. again thanks for the info, if you ever want to know about coming up to bc to fish, send a pm and more than willing to help direct you..

Adam

spenny1823
Petty Officer

Post by spenny1823 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:29 pm

If you want a closer river to bc to fish the nooksack does alright for silvers. That's my home river and do quite well there. Fish are a bit smaller and less numerous, but easier to find in my opinion. You can't go for kings on that river and the steelhead situation is the same as the skagit, but its closer.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:16 am

Samish kings usually don't show up until the 3rd week of August. But with the river at only 25 CFS you wont really see anything probably until September.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

KMR
Angler

Post by KMR » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Just a heads up hatchery steelhead will continue to return for the next two seasons because there are still hatchery fish in the salt from releases two years ago. Also you can't keep coho on the samish. It says release wild coho but seeing how there is no hatchery coho program and there hasn't been one for a long time your pretty much outta luck there

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:30 am

I have ran into stray hatchery coho on Samish, they do come up. Yes the majority are wild and are released . Please be aware that the very few steelhead that do come up Samish do not open until December 1st.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:18 am

DannyL wrote: Please be aware that the very few steelhead that do come up Samish do not open until December 1st.
I will just leave this here. Pulled straight out of the book. Good luck :salut:

SAMISH RIVER (Skagit Co.) from mouth (Bayview-Edison Rd.) to I-5
Bridge
(816)
ALL SPECIES - Aug. 1-Nov. 30: night closure and only one single-point hook allowed. We each must clean
up after ourselves and pets. Refer to Human and Pet Waste Advisory (page 5).
TROUT First Sat. in June-Nov. 30 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
Other Game Fish First Sat. in June-Nov. 30 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
SALMON Aug. 1-Nov. 30 Min. size 12". Daily limit 2. Only fish hooked inside the mouth may be retained. Release wild COHO.
All Game Fish Dec. 1-Dec. 31 Catch-and-release except up to 2 hatchery STEELHEAD may be
retained. Selective gear rules.

The terms "TROUT", "All Game Fish", and
"Other Game Fish" include the TROUT and
Game Fish species on the definitions pages
10-11,

TROUT: The combined daily limit for an angler that fishes in both rivers and lakes on the same day is 5 TROUT. In the combined
daily limit, only 2 TROUT may be from rivers, except as provided for EASTERN BROOK TROUT.
BROWN TROUT CUTTHROAT TROUT
RAINBOW TROUT LAKE TROUT
GOLDEN TROUT KOKANEE
TIGER TROUT
GRAYLING
In rivers, streams, and beaver ponds: Min. size 8". Daily limit 2. When fishing with bait, all TROUT
(except STEELHEAD) equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit
whether kept or released.
In lakes, ponds, and reservoirs: No min. size. Daily limit 5. When fishing with bait, all TROUT (except
STEELHEAD) equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit whether
kept or released.
EASTERN BROOK TROUT
(EBT)
In rivers, streams, and beaver ponds: No min. size. Daily limit 5. Anglers may keep up to 5
EASTERN BROOK TROUT, but no more than 5 TROUT total, and no more than 2 can be other
TROUT species. In lakes, ponds, and reservoirs: Count as part of the 5 TROUT daily limit.
STEELHEAD Min. size 20". Daily limit 2. No more than 2 STEELHEAD may be retained as part of TROUT combined
daily limit. STEELHEAD may be caught and released until the daily limit is retained unless Mandatory
Hatchery Steelhead Retention rule is in effect (see page 16). No annual limit for hatchery STEELHEAD.
WILD STEELHEAD RETENTION RULES: ONE wild STEELHEAD per license year may be retained
from ONE of the following rivers: Bogachiel River, Calawah River, Clearwater River, Dickey River, Hoh
River, Quillayute River, Quinault River, or Sol Duc River, as listed in the special rules.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:14 pm

My understanding is that they stopped hatchery steelhead planting in the samish in 2008.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:43 am

Went and scoped out the mouth area yesterday. Was high tide so couldent see anything moving and didn't have any spinners or eggs to try. May try this weekend.

MaxOut
Angler

Post by MaxOut » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:00 pm

I know I’m 5 years late to the game, but if anyone’s still alive, is there any steelhead left? Just the Combat fishing kings? Thanks