Whatcom Creek - Bellingham Wa

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fisherman92
Lieutenant

Re: Whatcom Creek - Bellingham Wa

Post by fisherman92 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:50 am

On the side I was on it seemed everyone was actually trying to entice the fish and there were very few snagged fish. Lots on the other side of course. But all of the people fishing next to me were very kind and everyone was giving tips and actually rigging other people poles with their gear to help them fish more efficiently. Nice to see on that system!
The other side of course was crazy and some people bring their 6 year olds to fish the wall. They don't understand how to fish or get out of the way (or English in some cases) and there was lots of tangles and frustration as usual. I don't know why someone would bring their kids to fish that wall. It can actually get dangerous doing that in my opinion. I saw little kids swinging 3+ oz triangle weights with 5 ft of leader on the wall and it was ridiculous.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:01 pm

im actually in that picture mike...... SO YES I KNOW HOW TO FISH SALMON......

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:56 am

Yesterday, I met several people that chatted about snagging as if it was an ethical way to fish for salmon. Comments like "It's definitely a keeper if you snag it in front of the gill plate." The problem is people that don't know any better. We even had a gentleman who walked through the water about six feet directly in front of us and said "Get out of the way or I'll hook you casting," as we were reeling in our own lines directly past him. It is a fishery unlike anywhere else around.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:13 am

That's cooper, he's a nut case and a true piece of work... Snagging is unethical... If your ever down that way again and its early morning till 10ish feel free to shout out king arthur and i'll turn on around.... You can fish next to me.....

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:31 am

Lol just float a jig.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:44 am

I read that jigs are not allowed due to the anti-snagging regulations, is that true? I would probably just use a yarn and corkie anyways because a bobber would seem to cross a lot of lines floating down stream

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:11 am

branweeds wrote:I read that jigs are not allowed due to the anti-snagging regulations, is that true? I would probably just use a yarn and corkie anyways because a bobber would seem to cross a lot of lines floating down stream
The WDFW officer that checked my license on Friday didn't seem to mind my float & jig setup. Of course, I didn't see her do anything about the people violently ripping their hook through schools of fish either.

The anti-snagging rule says that weight must be attached at least 12 inches above the bait or lure and cannot be attached below it. It mysteriously does not say that weight cannot be attached to the lure or bait itself. It doesn't say that the bait or lure cannot be weighted. If this were true, you couldn't use vibrax spinners, weighted spoons, or even weighted flies. I think some confusion at Whatcom Creek comes from the fact that there is a sign by the stairway which refers to the old "non-buoyant lure restriction", a rule which doesn't exist in the regs anymore - it isn't even defined anymore. Also, some people have gotten called out for tying their hook directly below a chunk of lead can calling it a "jig", when it looks nothing like a jig and is really just a pretty blatant snagging apparatus. As a lawyer practicing in Bellingham, I would happily go to court to defend myself (and, in the right circumstances, others) from any interpretation by WDFW that the anti-snagging rule somehow means no jigs.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:28 am

I did see one guy twitching jigs then he got told he cant do that (which I agree with on that system). There was also a few people floating jigs which no one had a problem with. In my opinion you should be able to float jigs and I think you can. Its a lot less likely to snag fish floating.

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:22 pm

Plus they bite the jigs lol

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Jakefish wrote:The anti-snagging rule says that weight must be attached at least 12 inches above the bait or lure and cannot be attached below it. It mysteriously does not say that weight cannot be attached to the lure or bait itself. It doesn't say that the bait or lure cannot be weighted. If this were true, you couldn't use vibrax spinners, weighted spoons, or even weighted flies. I think some confusion at Whatcom Creek comes from the fact that there is a sign by the stairway which refers to the old "non-buoyant lure restriction", a rule which doesn't exist in the regs anymore - it isn't even defined anymore. Also, some people have gotten called out for tying their hook directly below a chunk of lead can calling it a "jig", when it looks nothing like a jig and is really just a pretty blatant snagging apparatus. As a lawyer practicing in Bellingham, I would happily go to court to defend myself (and, in the right circumstances, others) from any interpretation by WDFW that the anti-snagging rule somehow means no jigs.
That is great to know.I will try floating a jig and see if it will entice anything into biting. I can't see how they would have a problem with floating rigs as it is close to the least likely way to snag them.

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Yeah floating jigs work very well there, hooked over 10 the other day.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:00 pm

best hands down jig is the #29 aerojig ( cerise with white ) These fish absolutely crush cerise..... Anti snagging rule does not apply to a floating setup.. Hence the term FLOATING...... and yes folks are being warned that jigs are not allowed to be drug across the bottom...

http://www.hawkenfishing.com/product-p/ajh29.htm

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Try cerise and purple jig under a float. Ive litterally caught over 100 chum on that pattern in the last 3 weeks. The trick to floating a jig is to use a very short distance between the float and jig. In 4-5 feet of water go no more than 20" under the float. In 6-8 feet i go 3-4 ft under the float. They look up, contrary to popular belief (by non float fisherman) they look up and will come up out of their way to grab a jig. Cerise and purple, and cerise and white are the only patterns i use. Unscented. Some people use bait with added success, a small piece of shrimp from the grocery store tipped on the hook is what works for them. When you get it right, youll catch more fish than the snaggers, as your fish will be hooked inside the mouth and get landed WAY faster.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:54 am

Has anyone attempted to float from the wall area? Yesterday was a nightmare just trying to fish it with yarn. If you let it float down three feet down river, they start yelling "long liner." I also got hit in the face with a lure from some kid flinging it at the wall from across the river. Basically everyone that ISN'T snagging is frowned upon for getting in the way. If there weren't such good fishing I would only be there for entertainment. I would much rather float, I'm going to try it out tomorrow morning. Any suggestions on a spot to float from? It might be a little less busy at first light as well.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:57 am

Has anyone attempted to float from the wall area? Yesterday was a nightmare just trying to fish it with yarn. If you let it float down three feet down river, they start yelling "long liner." I also got hit in the face with a lure from some kid flinging it at the wall from across the river. Basically everyone that ISN'T snagging is frowned upon for getting in the way. If there weren't such good fishing I would only be there for entertainment. I would much rather float, I'm going to try it out tomorrow morning. Any suggestions on a spot to float from? It might be a little less busy at first light as well.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:32 am

Its usually less busy at 1st light. Knuckle dragging snaggers like to sleep in hahaha. Ill be up there tomorrow early as well. I fished the other side last weekend and killed it. There was 3 guys fishing bobbers next to me too and they did pretty good as well. Itll be interesting tomorrow since itll be a low tide, and last weekend I had the high tide dialed in from the other side. It should be easier with low water to fish the other side if you have waders especially. Plus from the other side you can float your bobber much easier and have very long floats with the back swirls. And most people on the other side are actually fishermen attempting to entice the fish and not snagging, At least when I was out there.
Ill see you out there!

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:55 am

Okay that makes sense. I'll be there at first light as well, with a bobber, pink jig, and maybe some sand shrimp! Probably wont need waders with the low tide but I will bring those as well. Hopefully get some bright chums for the smoker

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:58 am

If you want some sand shrimp I will have extra!

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:45 am

branweeds check your PM Shortly

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:52 pm

no need in ever long lining with a 18" leader and yarn, yes using a squirt of krill or salmon slammer will almost guarantee a hookup in the mouth every time ( use DNA and its even better ).......... Fish are so thick its almost impossible to not hook one.....