Nooksack Salmon runs

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dj2loud
Lieutenant

Re: Nooksack Salmon runs

Post by dj2loud » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:12 pm

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=SEW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

better one for you

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:19 pm

I hit it good and hard today, went 15/16 on coho... finally got my lamiglas wet and hooked up on fish, too bad they were ALL NATIVE fish...... Used just about every size spinner, every color, one wasn't better then the other..... it seemed like i would make a few casts catch a fish, then nothing on it... change and wham, then nothing.... pretty much every color pattern spinner worked 1 or 2 times and then nadda.... Got a hen just before leaving on a all black vibrax #5...... tight lines all....

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:01 pm

"15/16 coho"

LOL. Maybe one of these days I'll see that kind of action! Nice job!
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:09 pm

I'm going to the Nooksack tomorrow for the first time since before the rain, what sections of the river did you hit dj2loud?? Even if they are native, still a blast to catch and release!

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:44 pm

Good Job dj2loud, I have never come close to that many silvers. That must of been a blast of fun! I've caught that many Humpies and that was a great time....nothing quite like it.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:51 am

North fork just above the hwy 9, river has changed alot since the last heavy rains, crawled around the point to the left ( where the parking lot is ), literally crawled the rocks around to the left... Yes what we fisherman will do to get to a spot..... And i basically used every spinner i had in the box......

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:56 am

dj2loud wrote:North fork just above the hwy 9, river has changed alot since the last heavy rains, crawled around the point to the left ( where the parking lot is ), literally crawled the rocks around to the left... Yes what we fisherman will do to get to a spot..... And i basically used every spinner i had in the box......
Makes sense that you didn't get any clipped fish then - I believe only the south fork hatchery clips any coho.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:58 am

No matter whether they clip or not, not all the fish go back to the place they are hatched..... Fish make it places we don't even think about.....

Jmccvg29
Petty Officer

Post by Jmccvg29 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:17 am

I just moved to ferndale , I live a hop and jump away from the nooksack I came from the east side of the mountains to stay, is their anything I can fish for their?

spenny1823
Petty Officer

Post by spenny1823 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:01 am

Well salmon would probably be the most popular. It's a little late for that down in ferndale. Once we start getting consistent rain the river turns to mud for quite awhile. Other than salmon you could try for trout, but I've never personally had good success for them. I do know the upper reaches of the nooksack have a decent population .

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:36 am

upper nook is great but blown out most of the time... I would start on the middle fork and or the south fork sack for bows.......

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:33 pm

DJ- Have you gone after chum or dolly in the north fork at all? Would it beat the rage fishing at Whatcom creek?

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Saturday morning i managed to stop after my rager at whatcom, the north fork was on the drop and the few fisherman that i did talk to at Mosquito lake bridge were all in dismay with the lack of fish up north.. Wasnt a single chum to be seen or caught... Talked to brad this morning at the hatchery and there has been a increase in coho, from 25 to 210..... Not good numbers at all... No chum as of yet in the trap, but the bears are another story.....

River is once again blown out and dirty, i was there this morning on the way home for 2 minutes and didnt see anyone... Couple more weeks and the seasons over.... sad to see this watershed this off for this long.......