Humpy spoons

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Humpy spoons

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:32 pm

I've caught river humpies on lots of things: hootchies, marabou jigs, dick nite, kastmaster, sandshrimp, corky + yarn, buzz bombs, crappie jigs, wedding rings, etc.

But, I've never caught a humpy on those pink teardrop spoons that seem to flood the shelves of the sporting good stores during every humpy season. These are the thick metal (steel-lee style) teardrop shaped spoons, painted in hot pink, sometimes called "humpy special" by some manufacturers.

Any of you guys ever use these humpy specials with consistent success?

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Re: Humpy spoons

Post by fisherman92 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:22 am

I Usually don't do too great with them myself. About 10 years ago I was using one on the lower snohomish and no one was catching any pinks. Showed up late with one of those and fished for 20 min and landed a nice hatchery steelhead! Haha

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:21 am

I've found that humpies generally want a smaller presentation, even in very silty water. I caught a few on one on the Snohomish years ago, but that was before I started fishing dick nites.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:08 am

fisherman92 wrote:I Usually don't do too great with them myself. About 10 years ago I was using one on the lower snohomish and no one was catching any pinks. Showed up late with one of those and fished for 20 min and landed a nice hatchery steelhead! Haha
I only fish them as a last resort but I've gotten more steel and coho than pinks. Probly got a dozen fish over the years on humpy spoons though so I don't think of it as anything but a hail Mary. Normally I do well enough with a bobber & jig for pinks that I don't need to switch tactics.

Out in the salt a 1/4 oz Kroc spoon painted pink works good when they want a tad slower presentation though :-$
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Those spoons are designed and painted to catch you and not the fish, kinda like the lures painted in the seahawks colors as well...... Now those black and golds work great! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: [thumbup]

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Actually the Seahawks brads super bait put a lot of kings on boats in the reach last fall. Though I do agree that a lot of lures are just a marketing scheme

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:39 am

I got some coho on a Seahawks colored jig last season. Did I buy them because they were Seahawks color, dang straight! hahaha Go hawks!

TyeeMatt
Petty Officer

Post by TyeeMatt » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:39 am

I bought a bunch of those 12th Man SIlver Horde trolling spoons a couple years back for stocking stuffers and they've caught some kings up in Canada for me every season since. They're not my "go-to", but if the fishing is good I'll tie one on and they'll catch fish. Blue, green, and silver all together works just fine, but I wouldn't use any Wazzu Cougar spoons...although a Mariners one might work too.
http://rainiervalleyangler.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Pm sent TYEEMATT