Rod/Reel for Salmon Fishing on WA Rivers

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FrostyAusty
Petty Officer

Re: Rod/Reel for Salmon Fishing on WA Rivers

Post by FrostyAusty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:01 am

spokey9 wrote:If you already have an 8'6" ugly stick, I'd suggest just upgrading the reel and use that setup til you're sure river fishing is for you. Those are decent rods and I've seen a lot of fish pulled in on them over the years and that Stik will give ya a lil bit more forgiveness while you learn how to fight a hot fish in moving water than most other rods.
Sounds good!
Yeah i've mainly just fished in lakes around here.
But, I have the patience and determination to pursue river fishing haha, especially now that I have a bit more time to do so.
Also love the Ron Swanson quote [thumbsup]

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:26 am

FrostyAusty wrote:Right now i have an 8'6" Ugly stik but it has a trout reel setup on it. Would that be ok for these tight spaces? It's rated 6-12lb test I believe. If that rod would work for this type of fishing I will happily continue to use it and just spend a little more on a quality reel and purchase the rod at a later time!
Thanks again for the tips! Providing me with some info I hadn't thought about yet, very much appreciated!
Tight Lines!
Austin
Ugly sticks are great rods. If it is indeed rated 6-12 at that length is should be a medium/light, which is perfect, you get enough feel and is light enough to not tire you out casting/twitching for hours, but sturdy enough to allow some control over the fish. I have an ugly stick I use when I am not 100% sure of what I need, they are real versatile rods. Most spots on the Snohomish you will have enough casting room with that, just be aware of what's around you before you start casting. I've seen plenty of people snap their rod tips on over hanging limbs etc.

If you can upgrade the reel, do it. It's amazing what a good spinning reel feels like if you have always used stock reels. If you are comfortable with your current reel, use it.

I would change out that line to 10 or 12lb mono. I prefer mono because it has good stretch to it. I always elect to go as heavy as I can for mainline and leader. I have 6-12 rated rods with 15lb mono on it. Lots of rocks and just different stuff your line can get rubbed on. It does make it so I can quite cast as far, but you don't need to cast halfway across the river anyway.

I'd go with what you have to start, just change the mainline. Start upgrading if you start really getting into it. Time will tell you what you need/want to upgrade. Plenty of people on the river are using little 6 foot trout rods and catching just as many fish as the rest of us.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:41 am

I'd say 10lb mono or 15lb braid if you're gonna be tossing jigs.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

FrostyAusty
Petty Officer

Post by FrostyAusty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:08 am

Sounds good!
Seriously big thank you to all who have commented, giving tips to a prospective angler.
It's wonderful to be part of a community that will offer tips and helpful advice to those looking to get into Fishing, and just share a general wealth of knowledge!