Mid July River Salmon Opportunities

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
TheCoatisAlwaysOn
Angler

Mid July River Salmon Opportunities

Post by TheCoatisAlwaysOn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Heya guys, wondering if there are any good salmon fishing opportunities in the Puget sound rivers going on. Tried hitting the Skagit for Sockeye but seems like the run may be pretty much done, and is closing tomorrow. Anyone heard anything about the Skykomish for Kings? Pretty new to river fishing, any advice is appreciated. Just fishing from the bank. Also if there is a good resource guide/chart for salmon river seasons anyone knows about please let me know, I've been trying to find one without much luck.

thanks!

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Mid July River Salmon Opportunities

Post by BentRod » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:11 pm

The Sky is probably your best bet at the moment. Haven’t heard any reports recently, but Kings should be in there.

Can’t help on summary of the various river seasons, but you can reference the regs.

TheCoatisAlwaysOn
Angler

Post by TheCoatisAlwaysOn » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks a bunch!

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:31 pm

There’s nothing that significant going on right now in any of our puget sound rivers. July might be the slowest month of the year. Some summer steelhead and leftover spring Chinook may still be around though. Next to come are pinks but most rivers will be closed for them this year, then fall Kings and coho will show up around September depending on where you’re at. Chum are the last salmon to return around November-December, and winter steelhead are in late December-February (for hatchery steelhead).

You could head up to the upper Skagit river soon, I saw on the hatchery escapement reports there are still a few kings returning up there. It’s a bit of a drive up to marblemount though. I would wait until the next escapement report comes out tomorrow, and compare it to the number of fish the marblemount Hatchery had last Thursday to see how many have returned since then.

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:40 pm

branweeds wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:31 pm
You could head up to the upper Skagit river soon, I saw on the hatchery escapement reports there are still a few kings returning up there. It’s a bit of a drive up to marblemount though. I would wait until the next escapement report comes out tomorrow, and compare it to the number of fish the marblemount Hatchery had last Thursday to see how many have returned since then.
NOOO, The Skagit and Cascade close to Chinook fishing at the same time the river sockeye season ends. No more salmon fishing on the Skagit or Cascade until September.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:38 pm

Jakefish wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:40 pm
branweeds wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:31 pm
NOOO, The Skagit and Cascade close to Chinook fishing at the same time the river sockeye season ends. No more salmon fishing on the Skagit or Cascade until September.
Good catch I forgot it closed. We’re pretty much done for until coho season around here.

TheCoatisAlwaysOn
Angler

Post by TheCoatisAlwaysOn » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:26 am

Thank you very much for the helpful info!