New to fishing in washington

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
taylori88
Angler

New to fishing in washington

Post by taylori88 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:33 am

Hello all I am new to the state and am trying to getting into fishing for salmon and steelhead. i got all my gear and stuff. But now i dont know where abouts to go. I live in the seattle area and dont mind driving a bit if anyone could shed some light on someplace that i could go. i read the regulations and stuff but even as i went to the rivers. access to rivers are a bit tough i had noticed. Thank you

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: New to fishing in washington

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Shoreline access in Wa state is tough. There are fewer places each year and more people trying to use them and fewer fish to catch and fewer legal times to catch them.

I dont bank fish, so I dont have any specific recommendations for you. You could look through reports, but very very few people are willing to give up "their" spots. But if you see a report that is not a boating report, then it might give you a clue.

Other wise, look for parks along the water on lakes, rivers, the sound - city , state or county. Many of them will have at least a little shore line access. Also, public docks and near or at some boat launches.

Welcome to Wa and Good luck!!

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:27 am

Welcome to Washington!
As Larry said shoreline access is tough. Between this site and various facebook pages you can see rivers where someone caught at least one fish but you may not know exactly where. When you go to said river you really can only try one or two spots a trip. If you have the means, consider a guide. Even though you'll be boating they's take you down the rivers and you can see where all the bank access is for your next trip solo.

MGTom
Petty Officer

Post by MGTom » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:50 pm

I'm new to fishing SE Washington for steelhead and salmon the last couple years. I look at lots of maps and google earth, then go and drive/scout the rivers. All year long. It's a lot of fishing and learning, and your bound to meet some people along the way. We made several fishless trips but then figured it out. The CBR Pit tag site can help you figure out when.