Longshot - lost old fly rod on Cowlitz early August

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mollywog
Angler

Longshot - lost old fly rod on Cowlitz early August

Post by mollywog » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Hi there,

I'm brand new to this site, so please forgive any etiquette mistakes.

My spouse and I were floating the Cowlitz between Barrier Dam and Blue Creek boat launch around August 1 - she brought her (long deceased) grandpa's old fly rod. About 1/4 of the way down river from Barrier Dam or so, we hit a riffle that turned her kayak - somehow she had been casting the fly rod and the line got caught at the bottom during all this, the rod was pulled from her hand, and sucked underneath the water. We pulled over and tried to figure out a way to get back up there to attempt to retrieve it, but it wasn't possible.

She is an amazing angler; I don't know even know how this happened, except that this was our first time floating in our kayaks and fishing. In any case, she was simultaneously devastated at losing the rod, but also recognized the risk in bringing it in the first place, and that the river was a pretty fitting final resting place for it.

I'm reaching out in a long shot attempt to find out if anyone has possibly come across an old, in-need-of-repair fly rod in this area since August 1. I can't even tell you the brand or anything else about it, unfortunately.

Thank you for taking the time to read this; please reach out if you have any info.

:fish: