Flossing or Not

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Flossing or Not

Post by Toni » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:01 pm

crankbait42 wrote:toni flossing would be against the law because it involves a fish involuntarily getting hooked which is essentially snagging.
"Only an under water camera of that specific individual fish could reveal whether the fish took the hook in its mouth or the line was drug through it."

If we interviewed fish they would say that they NEVER wanted a hook in their mouth. They were tricked.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:59 pm

Jake Dogfish wrote:The line drifts parallel to the otherside of the of the river. It drifts down the river when it gets stuck in a fishes mouth, you set the hook driving the hook into the fishes mouth. It works similar to a drift net. That is flossing for the many that don't understand it.
Puuullleeeeezzzzzzee, I have yet to see a fish sit on the bottom and wait for some one to drag a string that's less than a mm in diameter through it's mouth. I've seen lots of underwater footage of guides fishing and fish swimming and taking all sorts of lures and they do like to pick up little bits of yarn and corkies or rubber eggs. So in my best judgement I have to go with the State on this one. Flossing is not snagging. Do you catch fish by dragging a line through thier mouth? I doubt it. Flossing seems to be one of those terms dreamed up by a bunch of whining cry babies tossing pink worms complaining about joe average fishing. This thread is better suited for Pescitorial Persuits and the sniveling cry babies worring about everyone else is doing, over there.

If you don't like flossing don't do it. But don't complain when the dentist pulls your teeth.

Flossing is not something you do when fishing!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:03 pm

Just read the regs. It is very clear. If you do not like the regs fight to have it changed. Or live in denial like most. It is what it is.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:04 pm

sapi is correct, i have watched salmon chase baits all the way to with in 10 feet. the smell of roe can make the fish bite out of agression. corkies are in a veriety of colors so some colors agitate fish more. flame red, matte red and orange will catch more salmon and steelhead than any other color known because it makes the fish more agressive. a buddy of mine fishes and guides on the kenai his favorite color for monster kings is flame red and if you look at a bait on the kenai they are verry large the size of a fist. what i am getting at is that the kenai kings are they flossed or not. this is just my 2 cents
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:14 pm

Jake Dogfish wrote:Just read the regs. It is very clear. If you do not like the regs fight to have it changed. Or live in denial like most. It is what it is.
Sorry Jake buddy but maybe you should check with WDFG. I've talked with no less than three enforcement personel in the last week that have said the only way they know to catch a silver in the Snohomish is to "Floss". Then they told me how to do it. Sorry bud, get over it. The crusade is over.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Bodofish, So which is it? It is impossible to floss a fish, or that it is legal? Which is your argument?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:20 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Jake Dogfish wrote:The line drifts parallel to the otherside of the of the river. It drifts down the river when it gets stuck in a fishes mouth, you set the hook driving the hook into the fishes mouth. It works similar to a drift net. That is flossing for the many that don't understand it.
Flossing seems to be one of those terms dreamed up by a bunch of whining cry babies tossing pink worms complaining about joe average fishing.
If you don't like flossing don't do it. But don't complain when the dentist pulls your teeth.
LOL. Perfect!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:29 pm

Jake Dogfish wrote: Bodofish, So which is it? It is impossible to floss a fish, or that it is legal? Which is your argument?
Derrrrrr....... the point is, I had three WDFW enforcement officers tell me to Floss for Silvers. What ever you consider Flossing to be, it must not be snagging and it must be legal or we have one heck of a law suit pending for the WDFW.

As I said earlier it's a topic for the wussies PP, the crusade is over.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:42 pm

Does flossing exsist? YES. Do salmon willing take a corkie and yarn on a 5' leader? YES

While fishing the green the last couple of days I made a few observations. While fishing in less than 5' of water where you can see the bottom and all the fish I have see my corkie disappear, meaning a fish willing ate my corkie, I watched him do it. I also witnesed my corkie starting to move up river and upon setting the hook it resulted in a perfectly hooked fish on the inside of the mouth.

Now take kennedy creek. The states 2nd largest chum salmon run. At low tide parts of the creek get a small as 20' wide and 18" deep. It has a sandy bottom and there is 10s of thousands of chum running up this 1 tiny channel, so visibility is none. I use a 12" leader with a small green corkie and orange yarn. By "definition" this is not "considered" flossing. But do you think these chum are even thinking of eating (or striking out of aggression) with 200 - 300 anglers throwing bait on this 1 tiny channel? There is no way they can even see the corkie and yarn. If this fishing technique is wrong I would like some suggestions for the right way to catch a fish under these conditions.

Dont get me wrong a 10' leader and a black corkie, just being ripped through the water "should" be considered flossing. But fish willingly take corkie and yarn. And in certain circumstances "flossing" might be an only option. But when I get a 15# chrome hen legally, on a 4' leader its not going back in because, maybe the fish was at the wrong place at the wrong time and my line just happened to go in the fishes mouth even though the fish wasn't hungry.... sounds kind of silly doesn't it?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishermom
Petty Officer

Post by fishermom » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:17 am

"But when I get a 15# chrome hen legally, on a 4' leader its not going back in because, maybe the fish was at the wrong place at the wrong time and my line just happened to go in the fishes mouth even though the fish wasn't hungry.... sounds kind of silly doesn't it?"

LOL - I think you should ask the hen, and if she says she was at the wrong place at the wrong time, throw her back.
Fish like this is your last day on earth, conserve like you will live 1000 years.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:42 am

rseas wrote: the fish flopped and wiggled out of my hand. He swam around my feet for a moment or two and then made a beeline for my corky that was dangling/floating on the surface 10 feet downstream from where I was standing. That crazy humpy exploded out of the water to attack my rig, the same one that I had just released him from.

I guess that in my mind I am now satisfied that I am not flossing the fish.
I wonder if the fish voluntarily ate the corky/yarn offering while it was originally drifting down the river? What's up with his second encounter with my offerings? Was he so mad at it for delaying his trip upstream that he figured that he would get even and attacked it the second time?

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:02 pm

gpc wrote:Dont get me wrong a 10' leader and a black corkie, just being ripped through the water "should" be considered flossing.
FWIW, when I first attempted to fish for salmon a few years ago and asked all my questions here, this is the definition that I was given for flossing. Not drift fishing with a slightly longer than typical leader.

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:11 pm

Bodofish wrote:
Puuullleeeeezzzzzzee, I have yet to see a fish sit on the bottom and wait for some one to drag a string that's less than a mm in diameter through it's mouth. I've seen lots of underwater footage of guides fishing and fish swimming and taking all sorts of lures and they do like to pick up little bits of yarn and corkies or rubber eggs. So in my best judgement I have to go with the State on this one. Flossing is not snagging. Do you catch fish by dragging a line through thier mouth? I doubt it. Flossing seems to be one of those terms dreamed up by a bunch of whining cry babies tossing pink worms complaining about joe average fishing. This thread is better suited for Pescitorial Persuits and the sniveling cry babies worring about everyone else is doing, over there.

Have to aagree with Dogfish here....

Nothing screams unethical fishing quite like 10 foot leaders being swung through shallow riffles with the regular yank that usually results in the occasional fish being drug tail first back to the bank...Do fish take corky/yarn combos? Yes. But the line between corky and yarn fishing versus flossing/snagging is often crossed

I can complain all I want about flossing bodo...Its illegal because it involves a fish involuntarily taking a lure.

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:13 pm

Bodofish wrote: Flossing is not snagging. Do you catch fish by dragging a line through thier mouth? I doubt it..
Bodofish wrote:
Jake Dogfish wrote:Just read the regs. It is very clear. If you do not like the regs fight to have it changed. Or live in denial like most. It is what it is.
Sorry Jake buddy but maybe you should check with WDFG. I've talked with no less than three enforcement personel in the last week that have said the only way they know to catch a silver in the Snohomish is to "Floss". Then they told me how to do it. Sorry bud, get over it. The crusade is over.

Which is it Bodo..You first state that you cannot floss fish but than say you know how to floss and believe in it because WDFW told you that it works...

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm

WDFW doesn't consider long leaders, snagging. I asked Stace Kelsey (a member here) who works for the WDFW.
Only certain fisher-people consider it snagging.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:09 pm

gawd this post is retarded....flossing IS drift fishing...dicknite,corky and yarn or even a spinner. it is all the same thing cast 45 degrees have the correct weight on to get the lure down and drift with the current. if your really good you will floss the one with its mouth open.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:34 pm

i agree with sickbayer on this, he hit it right on the nose
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:30 am

Blackmouth wrote:
Bodofish wrote: Flossing is not snagging. Do you catch fish by dragging a line through thier mouth? I doubt it..
Bodofish wrote:

Which is it Bodo..You first state that you cannot floss fish but than say you know how to floss and believe in it because WDFW told you that it works...

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Derrrrrr Learn how to read before posting.
Bodofish wrote:
Jake Dogfish wrote: Bodofish, So which is it? It is impossible to floss a fish, or that it is legal? Which is your argument?
Derrrrrr....... the point is, I had three WDFW enforcement officers tell me to Floss for Silvers. What ever you consider Flossing to be, it must not be snagging and it must be legal or we have one heck of a law suit pending for the WDFW.

As I said earlier it's a topic for the wussies PP, the crusade is over.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:52 pm

Toni wrote:WDFW doesn't consider long leaders, snagging. I asked Stace Kelsey (a member here) who works for the WDFW.
Only certain fisher-people consider it snagging.
Its not the tackle, its how its used. Same with buzz bombs, which can be used for fishing or can be used for snagging.

I am not telling anyone how to fish. Fish anyway you like. Flossing is snagging as defined in the regulations. I didn't right the rules, if I did I would make things clearer for "fisher-people". :jocolor:

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:59 pm

Now I'm new to fishing in the rivers. This is my first successful salmon fishing season, thanks to all those pinks out there. I choose not to use beads/corkies, because I lack the experience to be effective with them. So I use spinners and spoons. Mainly spoons. My favorite so far has been buzzbombs and kastmasters. I lost 2 of my good color buzzbombs and I started throwing my kastmasters. And WOW they are effective.

Now I know they fish are not suppose to be eating, but the majority of the time, I'm catching them in the mouth.

The spoons are suppose to mimick an injuried fish, well these salmon are striking them. May it be to feed or aggression, I dont know. From my experience, I'm getting the females in the mouth 75% of the time. And the males 33% of time. I usually snag the males by their huge hump.

The way I work my spoon is, cast it 45 degrees upstream. Reel it fast enough so it's not dragging on the bottom, but it will bounce here and there. Almost like drifting I guess? The majority of my hits are at about when the lure is directly in front of me.

Sometimes, when the lure is coming downstream and gets close to infront of me, I will pop the lure so it's high up in the water column. And let the lure flutter and fall. The current will drag it a little past in front of me and FISH ON! I've caught a lot of fish in the mouth doing this.

Now I dont think I'm "flossing". I cant see the fish in the water. I cant feel my line going into the fishes mouth. I'm swimming/drifting my lure until it gets heavy and then I set the hook. I dont set the hooks at every little bump. My lures hit the bottom all the time. I'm guessing it's probably bouncing quite a bit. The water current makes my lure go bonkers in the water where it would normally feel like a bite.