Skagit...?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
noclothes1
Lieutenant

Skagit...?

Post by noclothes1 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:46 am

I've been fishing the Gardner bar for pinks and did quite well up until last weekend. I hear there are some coho in the system. I'm up for some C & R pink action if nothing else. Anybody been doing anything in the Sedro area or should we head up river? If so, would anybody care to share a stretch of river I should look for a spot?
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

RE:Skagit...?

Post by hanapaa808 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:05 pm

noclothes, where is gardner bar? the only place on the skagit i really know of fishing is that sand bar right in mount vernon. the one you can see from I-5

wintersteelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by wintersteelhead » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:55 am

Grab a map and locate burlington. Headed east out of town, just south of hwy 20 find Gardner road. At the end of that road is a rough launch. Walk, or if it's still open for travel, drive 4x4 up river maybe 1/4 mi(you will see 4x4 path). Nice gravel bar and an excellent salmon hole. Used to live in M.V. and loved plunking chums off the bar in nov.

notagator
Petty Officer

Post by notagator » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:46 am

I pulled a very nice silver out last night. Hwy 9 to South Skagit Hwy. Right under the bridge is a busy place, too many people for my taste, but there are many places to pull over on the side of the road and most of them have a trail down to the river. Up under the pipeline near the new pump station is good and even further up. Once you reach W Gilligan Rd. (first road on the left) you pretty much run out of river unless you know the area really well. There is river access off W. Gilligan, down Roh and to the right. Good luck!
Yeah, I'm a Cupcake! Better that, than dry and stale like Biscotti!