Stronger Knot than Egg Loop for drift fishing?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
losaturn
Warrant Officer

RE:Stronger Knot than Egg Loop for drift fishing?

Post by losaturn » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:46 pm

losaturn wrote:
jens wrote:
gpc wrote:I have also had this problem recently. Not on big fish like you, but when I get broke off by a snag it was right at the egg loop knot. 12lb vanish and 12lb maxima are my leaders. Hey Jens GAMAKATSU OR BUST. Acctually I am trying Owner brand hooks right now. Gamis are $8 for 25 and owners are $11 for 40. I went through 2 packs of gamis in the last 3 weeks so I wanted more bang for my buck, maybe I can milk 1 owner pack into 3 weeks lol
Man, I know, Gam's are just so expensive, but I am kicking myself for going the cheaper rout. Do not buy hooks on ebay that sell 100 for $4 like I did. I had several that were straightened out by some kings the past couple weekends. I heard Owner's will do that too.
A guy I fished next to last weekend said there is a better, stronger knot that won't break at the eye. Hopefully, someone will know what I am talking about..:bounce: :bounce:

Walmart has Gami's in packs of 50 for around $6.00
Sorry NVM, I just remembered that I repacked them in a Gami pack. They're actually eagle claw hooks. They seem to hold up well, haven't bent any of them out.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:54 am

Ok, shoot..I love Gams- but thanks for the heads up.
"One more......."

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:07 am

ok so when you do the shank wind make sure you wind away from the crack in the eye. That's one I've seen before, pulled down hard in the crack........
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:05 am

The problem with fluorocarbon line is that it has a tendency to break at the hook if not tied with a perfect snell knot or egg knot. You must use caution to make sure you wrap the line away from the crack on the first turn so the line doesn't tighten down in the space left in the eye of the hook. You must check that the space is not to wide. The end of the hook eye MUST be touching the shank.... NO SPACE. If there is a space you are asking for failure...Squeeze it down!. Do not use Fluorocarbon for Hoochies. Use 30 to 40 lb Maxima Ultragreen(my choice) for this application. For Steel-head leaders, use the next heavier line than you normally would use if using mono.....I use 17lb in the cascade rivers and 20lb for the ocean rivers.. ALWAYS LUBE THE LINE when tieing any hook especially when using fluorocarbon. It will get brittle and will have a tendency to break if it gets hot. As mentioned...pull the line slowly when tightening it down. I had 5 silvers break off at the hook in one day when using 25lb P-Line fluoro and snell knots. When I changed to maxima ultragreen 30 lb or p-line ultra strong 25lb I had no problems with any hook-ups with silvers or a 40lb king! Make sure you check your leader after any hang up or fish hit. This is important with fluoro coated line. I have been reading forums from all parts of the country and everyone is having problems with line breakage using fluorocarbon line or fluorocarbon coated line. TRY Googling "fluorocarbon line breakage" and read some of the fixes they used. Especially some of the forums from the Great Lakes Salmon sites and East Coast Striper sites. They have been changing to different knots for fluoro lines like uni-knots and trilene knots. As for the turns that you use on the hook or line....More is not better, the line won't tighten down properly if you use too many turns.6-7 is about right for average line and less for light line like trout stuff and more for heavy line for salmon or halibut. If the line doesn't tighten down smoothly when lubed with water or spit then don't use as many turns and retie it. I hope this will help some. Good luck, Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks fishing collector, great info. I know now, that I have just been doing tying the knot incorrectly, that is why I came here to get awesome advice!! Heading to go get some Gama's and Maxima to gear up for some pigs this weekend. :chef: :chef:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:05 pm

In addition to FC's stuff...... Not sure what brand leader, you're using but I ran into a bad batch Maxima flouro leader, it would snap about every 2-3" along the line. Bought a few roles from another retailer and there was no problem.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:31 pm

I usually use 14 lb spider wire mono. I dont get any breaks at the hook. However I think I need to learn a new knot for the swivel. Thats usually where mine will snap when I get snagged up. Never had it break from a fish yet. The knot I use for my leaders is kinda like a snell, but it is different. I didnt see any like it when I was looking online. My dad taught me it when I was young. So Im not sure what its called. You take your line into the eye and pull some extra out. make a loop and hold it with your pointer finger and thumb. wrap the hook and line about 6-7 times and then stick the line back through the loop. Add some spit and pull both ends to tighten it up dont pull the knot all the way up to the eye. Leave slack/loop there. Use that loop to put your yarn in and then tighten it up to the eye. The yarn will keep it from rubbin on the eye and makes it so you dont have to tie your yarn.
More fish please!

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:56 pm

I would like to add this to the FC discussion...... This is a review of fluorocarbon brands....It will give you an insight as to the myths of these types of lines. I was really surprised with the results. There are several pages to read and they will give you all that you need to make a decision on which lines to purchase. Good Luck, Steve

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html
http://www.questoutdoors.net/gear/articles/ftest/
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Bodofish wrote:In addition to FC's stuff...... Not sure what brand leader, you're using but I ran into a bad batch Maxima flouro leader, it would snap about every 2-3" along the line. Bought a few roles from another retailer and there was no problem.
Just got back from Wholesale Sports, picked up Maxima UltraGreen and Gama's.. I have been using P-line Fluoroclear and Izorline for my leader. I swear, if I have another fish break me off at the eye......#-o :eye: :eye:
"One more......."

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:07 pm

flinginpooh wrote:I usually use 14 lb spider wire mono. I dont get any breaks at the hook. However I think I need to learn a new knot for the swivel. Thats usually where mine will snap when I get snagged up. Never had it break from a fish yet. The knot I use for my leaders is kinda like a snell, but it is different. I didnt see any like it when I was looking online. My dad taught me it when I was young. So Im not sure what its called. You take your line into the eye and pull some extra out. make a loop and hold it with your pointer finger and thumb. wrap the hook and line about 6-7 times and then stick the line back through the loop. Add some spit and pull both ends to tighten it up dont pull the knot all the way up to the eye. Leave slack/loop there. Use that loop to put your yarn in and then tighten it up to the eye. The yarn will keep it from rubbin on the eye and makes it so you dont have to tie your yarn.
That almost sounds like the snell, anyone?
"One more......."

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:10 pm

fishing collector wrote:I would like to add this to the FC discussion...... This is a review of fluorocarbon brands....It will give you an insight as to the myths of these types of lines. I was really surprised with the results. There are several pages to read and they will give you all that you need to make a decision on which lines to purchase. Good Luck, Steve

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html
I read, "Poor knot strength."
Thanks FC.:bounce:
"One more......."

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:22 pm

Wet your line too
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Thats why I was looking for a link to the knot jens. It is similar to a snell but it is different. Im still looking to see if I can find a link for ya.
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:45 pm

flinginpooh wrote:Thats why I was looking for a link to the knot jens. It is similar to a snell but it is different. Im still looking to see if I can find a link for ya.
I am fishing with the guy who talked to one of the locals down on the Cow Sunday, and he knows how to tie the knot I was curious about. He didn't know the name of it, or maybe it is all of these knots mentioned, but a slight variation. All I know, is whatever I have been doing and using has lost a lot of bigger fish recently. Nothing more frustrating than battling a nice chrome pig and it takes off for another run breaking the line at the hook. I am re-ammo'd so will have that sense of security that I will land these pigs. ](*,)
"One more......."

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:55 pm

Jens, I've got some winch cable you could use....casting it's a bear, but the knot should hold!
:jocolor: :rambo: :thumright

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:01 pm

BentRod wrote:Jens, I've got some winch cable you could use....casting it's a bear, but the knot should hold!
LOL!! Yeah, but then I can't tell all my buddies about my 80lb and 90lb fish that have been snapping my line. :-" :-$ :^o :^o
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:06 pm

flinginpooh wrote:I usually use 14 lb spider wire mono. I dont get any breaks at the hook. However I think I need to learn a new knot for the swivel. Thats usually where mine will snap when I get snagged up. Never had it break from a fish yet. The knot I use for my leaders is kinda like a snell, but it is different. I didnt see any like it when I was looking online. My dad taught me it when I was young. So Im not sure what its called. You take your line into the eye and pull some extra out. make a loop and hold it with your pointer finger and thumb. wrap the hook and line about 6-7 times and then stick the line back through the loop. Add some spit and pull both ends to tighten it up dont pull the knot all the way up to the eye. Leave slack/loop there. Use that loop to put your yarn in and then tighten it up to the eye. The yarn will keep it from rubbin on the eye and makes it so you dont have to tie your yarn.
Watching this video reminded me of your description although it's for eyeless hooks, but all you'd have to do is start with your line down through the eye and then proceed as demonstrated. Watch it all the way through. The second knot he ties is the one that seemed like your description. Yes/no?
eyeless hook knots

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:09 pm

jens wrote:
BentRod wrote:Jens, I've got some winch cable you could use....casting it's a bear, but the knot should hold!
LOL!! Yeah, but then I can't tell all my buddies about my 80lb and 90lb fish that have been snapping my line. :-" :-$ :^o :^o
True, but if one then broke the winch cable......:cheese:

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Ok found it and ty bent rod you gave good info on that. I could not get your video to work on that link. Here is a video I found on youtube T3Im8x3i2Nk That worked for me. The one closest to what I use is the 1st and 3rd knot. They are the same knots but shown with diff types of line. This knot has worked well for me over the last 24 years or so that Ive been tying it. I also use the same type of knot when I go to the sound and set up a 2 hook rig for herring. Maybe this will be good for some people.
More fish please!

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:48 pm

I have seen his knots and its horrible. it is not layed evenly and I remember I mentioned his knot look like crap. I'm suprised he's able still catch fish with that knot and those damn ebay hook. I borrowed his hook one time and I swear I had a 30+ on and the hook broke just below the eye. Dang it Jens.