ALERT!!! ALL HANDS ON DECK!!!!! (Updated)

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dougw
Commander

ALERT!!! ALL HANDS ON DECK!!!!! (Updated)

Post by dougw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:20 pm

I just checked the National Muskies Inc Hybrid List..... It would seem Washington has been bumped to TWO 4" bigger tigers. [angry] Kurt Hostager and son(?) of Minnesota have posted two 50" tigers from Lake Elmo, MN. We need to pound those lakes and come up with a 50"+ fish! We have held the top spot for the last three plus years with the additions of Chris Gades, Mike Floyd, and Ed Hoyle. A few more of us need to make some contributions too! Well, I call upon our fine anglers of Washington to catch that 50"+ fish and regain the top slot on the list! We have a great tiger program here, and it's great to let everyone across the country know it by holding that number one slot! So lets get out there guys.... Catch that 50" fish!!!!!! You can bet I will be doing everything I can to catch one! Out come the Super-D's!!! I call upon the members in Chapter 57 to hit Curlew with fellow members from Chapter 60..... We know of a few tigers there that will push over 50". I know the lakes on the west side have a few as well! Lets Rock that board!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

I have an email to Jim Bunch to get the story. It looks like the Kurts are a father son team and there has to be a story. I am sure Jim will know about it....
Last edited by dougw on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Re: ALERT!!! ALL HANDS ON DECK!!!!!

Post by Natebg1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:07 pm

Hey Doug and Fellow Tiger Muskie Anglers!

I am more than happy to join this challenge and get that 50" monster! I also figured I would put a challenge out to those interested! How many people know someone who has never been Tiger Muskie Fishing? Well I am one of those anglers and I have set a goal to introduce 5 new anglers this year to the Sport of Tiger Muskie Fishing as well as Northern Pike and Walleye! Not saying that you have to do the same, but I enjoy fishing for all of these species and I figured it wouldn't hurt to introduce a few new anglers to all of them. Anyhow the challenge is to see how many people you can introduce to Tiger Muskie for the First Time and get them into one of any size! Once you do this, I have a feeling trying to get that 50" incher will be even easier and maybe even more enjoyable!

I am happy to report that so far, I have taken out a few of my buddies from work and got one of them into a Tiger Muskie yesterday on Lake Tapps (28 inches) and another of my buddies into his Very First Northern Pike and Walleye over in Eastern Washington and Western Idaho! It has been a blast trying to get this challenge underway. I still have a few more to meet but I will get it done and meet my goal. I am hoping by the end of the year I can report introducing 5 new people to all 3 species, now that would be a banner year for me! Attached is a picture of my buddies Very First Tiger Muskie from Lake Tapps for everyones enjoyment. Hopefully next time He will be the one holding a 50 incher in his hands! Now that would make the perfect fishing story!

Nate
Attachments
IMG_0119.JPG
Very First Tiger Muskie Lake Tapps 28 inches
IMG_0119.JPG (26.51 KiB) Viewed 4218 times

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Good job Nate and that's a great idea to extend that challenge to everyone. Imagine the fun people could have helping others to catch their first Tigers. Bill and I used to love to take new people out and/or talk to other fishermen on the lakes about any and all fishing.

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:32 pm

By the way, good luck to all of you getting Washington back up to number one on the Muskies Inc. Hybrid list!!!!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:14 pm

But, can it be counted if we release the fish?

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:37 pm

YES!!!!!

dougw
Commander

Re: ALERT!!! ALL HANDS ON DECK!!!!! (Updated)

Post by dougw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Great idea Nate! Our meeting tonight will have a section where if people join tonight, board members will fish with them on a lake they choose and show them the ropes. i.e., the ROPE we use to drag them in as opposed to the hair-sized line most use! LOL.... Hopefully a good turnout for the presentations we have lined out...

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Hey everyone from both 57 and 60,

I think a great thing that might be of some value for the future is to maybe consider putting on an outside unofficial tournament with both 57 and 60 working together to help introduce new anglers to Tiger Muskie. In basis, have a sign up sheet around town at the local sports stores between Eastern and Western Washington i.e. Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse or other sporting store locations to where people who have never fished for Tiger Muskie can sign up to go on a Free 1 day Trip that can sort of a tournament as well. The idea could be to pick a prime date, a central location when Tigers would be on the prowl and then get all those who signed up together on that date even if they are not Muskie Inc Members and get them out on the water for the day. At the end have some kind of prize for anyone who catches there first Tiger no matter the size i.e. maybe a 1 year membership to Muskies Inc or a fishing trip to a lake of choice for a day or something along those lines. The idea would be to get new people excited about Tiger Muskie fishing and wanting to be a part of the Muskie Community even if they don't join Muskies Inc. I would venture to say that the numbers might be staggering as to how many people would jump onboard the opportunity.

You can count my boat in as one to be available for this day of Tiger Fishing/Unofficial Tournament! Just an idea, let me know what you think.

Nate

dougw
Commander

Post by dougw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Good idea Nate. Great minds think alike! We thought of that, just hadn't implemented it yet. We did kind of the same thing though tonight at our meeting. We offered our services to anyone whip signed up tonight, to take them out to the lake of their choice and we would show them how we fish. BIG hit!. Signed 3 new members!!!!

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:19 pm

Cool idea Doug. Have fun with the new members.