Curlew and Perch

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Teal101
Warrant Officer

Curlew and Perch

Post by Teal101 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:04 pm

Just an FYI, I had heard rumblings two years ago that WDFW had shocked up a Yellow Perch in Curlew Lake. My family took our first trip to our cabin on Julian Bay this year and the bay is littered with perch now. We easily caught over 50 fish and saw a lot more. I do not know how this will affect the fishing there, but they are in the lake and here to stay. Hopefully the bass and trout can compete and the perch will not affect them much. I imagine this is just a new rough fish for the tigers to help control. I did watch a 3lb largemouth inhale a perch on the bass' bed. We also found them down off Pine Point around the docks. Lots of fish 4-8" long and plenty of little perch fry. Hopefully the numbers stay down and they grow big enough to be a decent fishery and not just over populate and stunt. If you're up there catch a few and fry em up!

PokeyPrasch
Petty Officer

Re: Curlew and Perch

Post by PokeyPrasch » Tue May 27, 2014 2:20 pm

I didn't see any last year but I do remember this article in the Spokanesman.
http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2012/jun ... or-curlew/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Batman Kiddie Pole

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Tue May 27, 2014 6:48 pm

from what i know they first showed up in a survey around 6 years ago, and have been there ever since. Someone probably thought it would be a good idea cause it was his favorite fish, so they released a bucket full. I, too, hope that it is not detrimental to the fishery up there. It should not hurt the state record Tiger Muskie population up there, i don't know what it will do to the other fish there. I know they eat a lot of bugs and such.
Eat, sleep, fish

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue May 27, 2014 9:03 pm

That's unfortunate, time to dial up my Rapala Super Shad Rap, perch pattern naturally. Thanks for the heads up.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:00 pm

Bass will just get fatter, the Tigers grow faster, but it may hurt the trout eventually.

Usually when a new species, like perch, takes off, they overpopulate, then the population crashes, then it stabilizes. The problem is that there is only so much "bio-mass" a lake can take. For every perch pound there is in the lake, there will be a pound of some other fish that will no longer be in there. The real question is what species will take the hit.

Of course, if there is a surplus food source, then maybe, sometimes, on occasion, nothing bad will happen. [unsure]