East side tiger tournament, Spring 2016???

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
muskie guy
Petty Officer

East side tiger tournament, Spring 2016???

Post by muskie guy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:06 pm

Are there any plans for an East side tournament this spring? I'll break in the boat with some Chinook in April and make some time to crush a toothy tourney in May LOL. Chapter 60, what say you? Never too early to make plans after all.
My only concern is how badly it will embarrass my old nemesis Musky Hunter to dedicate the win to his memory...even though he is still mostly alive. Did I say "concern"? I meant "intention".

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Re: East side tiger tournament, Spring 2016???

Post by harleypiker » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:43 am

Mountain Muskies Chapter 60 of Muskies, Inc. is sponsoring an open Tiger Muskie tournament at Silver Lake(about 15 miles west of Spokane, just 1/2 mile east of Medical Lake) May 14, 0630 registration at the public WDFW launch. 0700 fishing starts running to 4 p.m. All are welcome. 2 people per boat teams.

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:30 am

That's great! I just happen to be familiar with Silver Lake. Thank you.

I have to dust off the double-top secret spring time lure I use.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:04 pm

muskie guy wrote:That's great! I just happen to be familiar with Silver Lake. Thank you.

I have to dust off the double-top secret spring time lure I use.

Dude!, it's been to long. You already know this but obviously Silver is an awesome lake. I was fortunate to participate with Mountain Muskies a few different times at musky and pike tournaments they hosted.(They handout awesome awards too) They were great and treated me well. They have some awesome and informative anglers. I would join them if I didn't live so far away. It's hard enough keeping up with the Idaho pike crew. Checkout their tourney schedules. I hope to make some opens this year. Last year the majority of my musky fishing was sidelined but I hope to make up for it. All the best this season!

KB

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi Kevin;
It has been a while, hasn't it? You know how life keeps you guessing and all. The forum seems a bit thin these days. Isn't anyone catching tigers anymore?!? Time to break out the small black bucktails!

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Remember muskie guy..only 6" spinners baits..!!

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Post by harleypiker » Sun May 08, 2016 7:09 am

This is to confirm that the tiger muskie tournament sponsored by Mountain Muskies is next Saturday, May 14, at Silver Lake just east of Medical Lake, Wa. at the public boat launch.
Registration up to 6:30 a.m. and fishing from 7:00-4:00 p.m. followed by cash awards and the famous cutout wooden fish placques for the winners and a lucrative raffle. Open to members and non-members alike.

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Wed May 18, 2016 8:20 pm

So how was the turn out and what were the results?

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Post by harleypiker » Wed May 18, 2016 8:39 pm

We had a very nice little tournament. 10 boats, 20 fishermen. Largest was 38 1/2" (190 bucks!). Seven fish over 30" and a couple under. Nice warm day in the 70s and moderate wind.
One 39 1/2" tiger was left on the bank by a benevolent bass fisherman. So that in a way was the big fish of the day......unfortunately.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sat May 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Looks like you all had a good day..about the tiger in the grass..is there any signage out there? The kiosk was pretty barren last year. Maybe the muskie club can ask the department of fisheries to get some more out there? And many place a couple posts down by the water and on the dock? Killing and leaving game fish is illegal and punishable according to the State regulations.

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Post by harleypiker » Sat May 21, 2016 10:18 pm

Mountain Muskies is collaborating with NW TIGER PAC to pay for and encourage the WDFW to instruct us as to their specifications for an ample number of signs for all Tiger lakes. There is a Tiger muskie info sign at the entrance to the launch at Silver Lake but none at the docking area board where people would linger and read it. they drive by the entrance sign and not notice it. I told the warden that checked our tournament of this situation and that I would be glad to relocate it but got a mixed response. I also urged him to do it.
The Tiger in the grass wasn't a matter of lack of signing or knowledge, of course, but crass vindictiveness. I've heard of responses from other fishermen that "I kill every muskie I catch". Its a constant struggle but we keep trying.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sun May 22, 2016 8:40 am

Well keep at it. Mr.osborne and Mr.Divens are friends of the tigers. So check with them directly. Everyone says education is the key. People like signs. So, get some out there. Good luck out there!

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Sun May 22, 2016 10:00 am

Apparently Pete Maina is seeing the action from Mountain Muskies tournament from last weekend. There are 2 reposts if you will. You have to scroll down for the first one.

https://www.facebook.com/PeteMaina/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Post by harleypiker » Sun May 22, 2016 12:16 pm

Nice "catch" on the Mania post, Buddy. Thanks.
Muskyhunter--yes, we appreciate the Tiger support from those and other biologists from WDFW. Without that the tiger program might die an easy death from the bad vibes from other fishermen.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sun May 22, 2016 3:36 pm

All those pike guys like the attention!

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:53 am

There were multiple signs posted by both musky clubs present at the Silver and Newman launches for quite a while; on the entrance sign, the big information board and on the fishing dock. The CMA signs were on the big main info board and the fishing dock. The Chap. #57 signs were all over the trees and entrance areas. They have all been torn down and blown off over the years.
Half of the signs disappear in the first summer they are up. I suspect that this is not a coincidence. After years of telling people to release 30" musky and replacing signs, I am somewhat jaded.
I got my signs by volunteering to place them for the WDFW and the clubs also made a donation to help cover the cost. Which sounds like what is going to happen. Good job, keep placing signs and hitting the lakes.
Don't forget Ruby's and Picnic Pines. They both let me post signs as well back in the day.
It can be an uphill battle, I am glad there are people still trying to move forward!
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:31 am

Hey guy, you've gotten a lot done out there regarding the tigers. The signs, the size limit. Maybe you can get the word out? Eh? Not sure if 60 is active anymore. Website is gone. I still hand out muskie programflyers and difference between brochures. It has paid off on Tapps. Still non conforming a out here. Especially on Mayfield. But educating the folks does help. Lots of new muskie chasers, no club affiliations, on the water lately. No new signage yet. Saw there are new signs but don't know what the hold up is getting them put up. Picnic Pines..is that the ghost bar with the volleyball area out front?