WDFW Underfunding

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Don Wittenberger
Captain

WDFW Underfunding

Post by Don Wittenberger » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:51 am

A Seattle Times guest editorial last week urged the Legislature to stop underfunding WDFW. The writers pointed out that WDFW faces a $15 million a year funding gap while sales taxes on "purchases to enjoy fish and wildlife" annually return $120 million more to state coffers than legislators invest in sustaining and protecting those resources. A budget and policy advisory group assembled by WDFW two years ago recommended increasing WDFW's budget by $60 million in the next biennium, a quarter of which would come from license fee increases, the rest from general funds. This is something we should support. Read the editorial here, then let your legislators know you support its conclusions:

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/la ... red%20User

Gonefishing
Commander

Re: WDFW Underfunding

Post by Gonefishing » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:19 am

We all know how this one would go. They decide to raise license fees a certain group screams... I'm never buying a license again but will keep fishing... and no one can stop me.... and things would be better if they managed things better instead of.

For those that don't go fishing they will whine about how General fund money is going to be used to fund something that they don't use.

I agree the budget needs to be increased and if that means we help pay then so be it. Otherwise I'm taking up golf and if you live near me... warning low flying object has been struck with a club and I have no idea where it will land.