The best trout lure?......WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ellamella
Petty Officer

Re: The best trout lure?......WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

Post by ellamella » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:57 am

I've just recently gotten into fishing for trout in the river (used to only try for SM), and while I see the beauty in fly-fishing, I want to stick with my spinning reels. I'm fishing in a an area that gets a lot of traffic (Nance Ferry), and I would assume that most of the trout are starting to get wise to the basic rooster tail. I've got a number of variations such as some of the Blue Fox stuff etc.

Yesterday I went to Walmart to check out what other bait choices I had, and I found a pretty good selection. Has anyone tried the flies that have a spinner attached to an elongated shaft, similar to a rooster tail but with actual flies at the end instead of just the tail? I also got a small Rebel Teeny Craw crankbait that I'd like to try out. Do trout even feed on crawdads?

best electric reel

All in all, what are some good trout lure choices that you've found (rooster tail or otherwise)? Preferred weights and colors would also be very helpful. I'll be glad to share any info from my trial and error experiences as I go along. Thanks for all your help!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:26 pm

I've caught LOTS of trout on crankbaits. And on 1/2 oz skirted jigs with craw trailers. Trout eat snails that are on the bottom and on weeds and wood, same places crawdads are. Yes trout will eat the longshafted spinners with fly/feathering. I have no idea where Nance Ferry is, but trout anywhere will eat that stuff. Rooster Tail - try difference sizes and colors, same with the Blue Fox stuff.
Tom.

Interests: living

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:11 am

Amx wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:26 pm
I have no idea where Nance Ferry is
On the Holston River in the Appalchian Mountains of Tennessee.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount