The best trout lure?......WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:The best trout lure?......WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

Post by Toni » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:27 am

I have caught the most trout trolling a woolly bugger. Sometimes it had a bead head. Black or olive.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:49 pm

Toni wrote:I have caught the most trout trolling a woolly bugger. Sometimes it had a bead head. Black or olive.

thanks, I was wondering when someone was going to mention that. Is a fly considered a "lure" though? Gotta mention the Fish Creek spinners. I have had killer luck with his angle iron in bronze.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
Toni wrote:I have caught the most trout trolling a woolly bugger. Sometimes it had a bead head. Black or olive.

thanks, I was wondering when someone was going to mention that. Is a fly considered a "lure" though?

They aren't bait. WDFW calls them a lure, definition: Fly A lure on which thread, feathers, hackle, or
yarn cover a minimum of half of the shank of the hook. Metallic colored tape, tinsel, mylar, or
bead eyes may be used as an integral part of the design of the fly pattern.

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Vibrax Blue Fox, size 2 or 3, blue body, silver spinner

Wedding rings in any color

Dick Nite in 50/50
Lee

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:36 am

Toni wrote:
Mike Carey wrote:

thanks, I was wondering when someone was going to mention that. Is a fly considered a "lure" though?

They aren't bait. WDFW calls them a lure, definition: Fly A lure on which thread, feathers, hackle, or
yarn cover a minimum of half of the shank of the hook. Metallic colored tape, tinsel, mylar, or
Then does a steelhead jig count as a fly? I've never caught a fish on a fly, but I just started.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:13 am

natetreat wrote:
Toni wrote:
Mike Carey wrote:

Then does a steelhead jig count as a fly? I've never caught a fish on a fly, but I just started.
In the Midwest growing up a lure was spoons and spinners. Jigs were jigs, plugs were plugs, flies were flies, bait was live (or dead) stuff.

I understand WDFW has to create a definition we all live by, just say'n.

Oh, and in Wisconson a drinking fountain was also known as a "bubbler".

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:14 am

Mike Carey wrote:
natetreat wrote:
Toni wrote:
In the Midwest growing up a lure was spoons and spinners. Jigs were jigs, plugs were plugs, flies were flies, bait was live (or dead) creature stuff.

I understand WDFW has to create a definition we all live by, just say'n.

Oh, and in Wisconson a drinking fountain was also known as a "bubbler".

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:28 am

Really aren't there just 2 categories? Natural and artifical? Natural = bait and artificial = lures. Wouldn't even a bare red hook for sockeye be a lure? Or say Rooster Tail that has bucktail tied on the hook? Just saying...:albino: "Bubbler"?
Last edited by Toni on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 am

Toni wrote:Really aren't there just 2 categories? Natural and artifical? Natural = bait and artificial = lures. Wouldn't even a bare red hook for sockeye be a lure? Or say Rooster Tail that has bucktail tied on the hook? Just saying...:albino: "Bubbler"?

you know, bubble, bubble? "bubbler". nevermind.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:30 am

Mike Carey wrote:
Toni wrote:Really aren't there just 2 categories? Natural and artifical? Natural = bait and artificial = lures. Wouldn't even a bare red hook for sockeye be a lure? Or say Rooster Tail that has bucktail tied on the hook? Just saying...:albino: "Bubbler"?

you know, bubble, bubble? "bubbler". nevermind.

[biggrin] [laugh]

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:40 am

i love casting 1/8 oz kastmasters and 1/8oz rooster tails and mepps spinners on my 4# test ML combo.

Caught so many trouts with those combos.
I found a new fav mepp spinner this year.
Last edited by FishingFool on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:05 am

FishingFool wrote:i love casting 1/8 oz kastmasters and 1/8oz rooster tails and mepps spinners on my 4# test ML combo.

I always have trouble getting the mepps and other meppps style french blade spinners to spin. With a swivel, without a swivel, slow retrieve, fast retrieve, jerking them to start them etc. What's the trick? When they do spin they work really well, and I've got hundreds of 'em. Well maybe not hundreds, but quite a few.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:16 am

natetreat wrote:
FishingFool wrote:i love casting 1/8 oz kastmasters and 1/8oz rooster tails and mepps spinners on my 4# test ML combo.

I always have trouble getting the mepps and other meppps style french blade spinners to spin. With a swivel, without a swivel, slow retrieve, fast retrieve, jerking them to start them etc. What's the trick? When they do spin they work really well, and I've got hundreds of 'em. Well maybe not hundreds, but quite a few.
I dont know. They usually spin fine for me. Except if I use it too much and the wire bends a little. That will usually stop it from spinning. Can never bend it back on straight.

The Panther Martin spins the easier for me though. But I have not gotten a single bites on any of the PM lures I've thrown.

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:39 pm

[quote="natetreat"]

Right after the cast, reel up the slack and when you feel the lure putting tension on the light give it a short, light "snap" with your rod tip. Keep reeling at your desired pace...that'll get it moving.

Any bend in the wire or debris will keep them from spinning...so will the tag end of your knot if left long.

I'm a rooster tail junky...1/8oz, and usually black body with a silver blade. Second choice is mayfly pattern. 1/8oz give the best of both worlds for me, cast-ability and they stay shallow in those snag-filled alpine lakes.

And never go trout fishing without a 50/50 1/8oz kastmaster in metallic green/silver.

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:21 pm

I don't fish for trout but have caught some big trout with minny wacker spinner baits(white) And a 10 lbs trout with a shad colored rattle trap. They also like candy gummy worms.
My Dad would say," Boy, some people just can't fish"

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:58 pm

When trout are feeling *really* finicky, small tube jigs under a float work well. Tipping them with a maggot helps.
Perch and crappie will slam it too. :thumright
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

fullstringer98
Warrant Officer

Post by fullstringer98 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:17 am

I havent trid fish creek spinners yet but I have heard that they work great and are high quality.
Diehard 'Hawks fan

kenimes
Petty Officer

Post by kenimes » Tue May 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Trolling:

Frog colored flat fish with a small split shot about 2ft up from lure.
Rooster Tail black w/ silver spinner with no weight.
Red/ White Gypsy Queen/ Dare Devil with a small split shot about 2-2 1/2ft up from lure.

Casting:

Kastmaster various colors
Rooster Tail black w/ silver spinner
Panther Martin yellow w/ silver spinner
Blue Fox size #2 blue w/ silver spinner

These are my favs....all of which have produced good results on numerous occasions at various lakes and rivers in the State.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:43 pm

In rivers I like using a wooly bugger-Black.
In lakes I like casting a 1/8 oz green roostertail.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

fishcreekspinners
Lieutenant

Post by fishcreekspinners » Tue May 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Goes without saying my favorites that black and gold Armadillo dancing around on the banner. 1/8oz with a Swing blade.

We made 1/5oz versions of the Armadillo this year that I figure will be this years MVP's. They're a size up in all components to beef them up.

Here's a rootbeer one that will be sweet and give the black and gold in this size a run for its money.