Rock Lake dangers

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tomconant
Petty Officer

Rock Lake dangers

Post by tomconant » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:36 am

Hello to all. I have heard Rock lake has basalt spears lurking just under the water. waiting to eat the bottom of my boat. I have only fished this lake three times. my fish finder did startle me a couple time when out in the middle of the lake it went from 300 feet deep to 8 feet deep. I have searched the internet trying to find a map as to where not to go. but find nothing.
The times I have gone there I had great luck at the north end by the inlet creek. anyone have any info on this lake. it would be appreciated, thank you

P.S. I did read in a spokesman review article that an earth dam was put in that raised the level three feet and reduced the concern of the pillars. with all my searching, this article is the only place I read this and it did not give a date as to when this happened.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Rock Lake dangers

Post by Amx » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:52 am

There are a couple other threads on this lake, probably in the river forum as I think it's in the river system, but is called a lake. Do a search and see what you can find.
Tom.

Interests: living

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:33 pm

The dangers are real, and you'd be well advised to boat carefully if you don't know where they are. There are others here who know the lake, Angling Archer for one, and downriggeral for another. There may be others as well, so hopefully someone else who knows the lake, and the underwater hazards there, will chime in.

I have never launched there, all it took was watching someone else try to launch their boat once, and I decided then and there I wasn't launching my boat at Rock - personal choice.

Rock Lake shouldn't be in the river system, it's not attached to one, just Rock Creek at the inlet and outlet. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

tomconant
Petty Officer

Post by tomconant » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:28 am

http://www.spokaneoutdoors.com/rocklake.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" Also there are lava spears that can rip into your boat, though recently a rock/soil dam at the south of the lake on Rock Creek, has raised the lake level about 3 feet lowering the lava spear concern."

Quote above taken from article I linked.

I can't find a date as to when this was written. But looking at satellite images of the lake you can see dark spots along the west side about a third of the way up the lake. also a big rock just right of the launch on other side by a bunch of reeds.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi all, sorry that I don't visit much but I moved to Louisiana recently and just got on to see how everyone was doing.

First, the Spokesman Review is pretty lame. Most of their fishing reports are re-worded or outright plagiarism from reports directly off this and other sites. Most of the rest of what they print regarding fishing and hunting is hear-say or old information. So keep that in mind when you read it. When I lived there, I wouldn't waste my money on it.

Yes, Rock is a great place to fish. It is perhaps the best Brown Trout fishery in Washington, the North-West, maybe even all of North America. But, greatness comes with a price. Many have died from the dangers in the lake, either from the rocks just under the surface or the wind and waves that get funneled up the lake at times. Still, it is safe enough with proper boating precautions. A kayaker died of Hypothermia just a few years ago and two brothers almost died when their boat hit rocks (near the skull and crossbones area) and it sunk. Safe enough, but it is not a safe lake for beginners or risk takers.

Second, as Hews said, the launch sucks. It is primitive at best, requiring the greatest of launching skills, or the smaller boats, or both. But, smaller boats can kill in Rock. I have a 17.5' Lund style boat with an Easy Loader Torsion Spring axle. I can take the wheels to the edge of the cliff drop-off and slowly lower it over to load and unload a boat. If you have leave springs instead, well sucks to be you. [cursing]

Keep your speed down if you are within 200 yards of the shore until you learn the lake. Go during the summer if you can launch so that you can actually see the rocks.

Last, I have never posted the GPS coordinates for the obstacles and I won't do it now. We live in a sue happy society where you can sue me because I don't like the color or your eyes. The judge will probably toss it out, but not until I spend the money to defend myself. I will not defend myself because someone took my information and either misread it or found a spot I missed. So, note clearly, the map I am attaching is approximate only and I take no responsibility for it.

OK, more information. No dirt, rock, or other dam has been placed on this lake since the 1920's or 30's. The state would never allow one now without numerous permits and landowner compensation and ....... Not going to happen. As indicated on the drawing, there is an old dam remnant and there was once a private marina where the public launch is now. The concrete pillars you see on the South side are parts of the old overflow. I once met the gentleman that owns the land that the state leases and he showed me pictures and told me stories about it. I guess that the dam might have raised it 3 to 5 feet, which would have helped a lot with the rocks.

Next, if you are a photo analyst, perhaps a military spy satellite photo expert, then you can use Google Earth to preview the lake for obstacles. Note that the June photo of this year was especially good. BUT, if you don't know what you are doing, it will give you a false sense of security...... and I am not there to tow you off the lake anymore.

Yep, I towed an average of two boats a year for the last 10 years off of Rock...... broken props, bent or damaged lower ends, broken transom. SLOW it down until you learn the lake.

Side notes: the attachment about rock is interesting, but littered with incorrect information. The cave never had a still, and it does not now. It was a booze hiding spot during prohibition. There was no obsidian deposit, but there was a smoky quartz vein that has been removed by someone within the last 5 years. There are train cars in the lake, but not close to Jensen's beach. I have mapped them with my sidefinder and I have located some of the train cars, but the Model T's, if they existed, wound up in over 200' of water. My underwater camera always shows the water is too muddy to see once you get below 50' or so, no mater what time of year, even with Infrared light. Hint, follow the old track path and look for an almost impossible turn ..... then go straight over the cliff. :scratch:

Sorry this has been a long post, but look at the good side, you probably won't have to tolerate my post any longer. LOL

Live long, fish hard, and save some of those trophy browns for the next guy. :salut:
Attachments
Rock Lake.jpg
Approximate locations only! Not liable for missing locations or poor boating skills.
Rock Lake.jpg (152.6 KiB) Viewed 8540 times

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:52 pm

One more for your help.
Attachments
Rock Lake 2.jpg
Rock Lake 2.jpg (129.95 KiB) Viewed 8537 times

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:54 pm

Too bad. Enjoyed your posts. I do like the "Rock" marker on the hilltop!

tomconant
Petty Officer

Post by tomconant » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:31 pm

thank you for the pictures, I had already looked at google earth. it does show quite a few dark spots pretty much same areas
that you have shown. I have been sticking to the middle of the lake and going up to the north end.
the launch has to be about the worst I've ever seen. I have plastic bunk slides I put over the carpet so I can push it off the trailer without much effort

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:38 am

Thanks AA! [thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision