Lake Chelan Kokanee Derby

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
SomethingCatchy13
Angler

Lake Chelan Kokanee Derby

Post by SomethingCatchy13 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:55 am

Don't forget folks, this weekend one of the biggest Kokanee derbies in Washington State. With lots of cash payout and prizes to give away. This derby is also a fundraiser for the Non-profit Something Catchy that is helping expose children of all ages to the wonder of fishing. At the Captains meeting on Thursday Sam Baird of Slammin Salmon Guide Service well be presenting a Kokanee seminar and fill you in on how to target BIG Kokanee on Lake Chelan. The Derby runs both Saturday and Sunday. After the weigh in on Sunday an award Ceremony will be held followed by a catered BBQ by Country Boys BBQ.

Fishing has been great on the Lake the last few weeks and with the chance to win some great prizes (and some cold hard cash) why not show up!

Quick Run down of the cash winnings.

For Biggest Kokanee and Also Biggest Boat limit (10 biggest fish)
First Place $750
Second Place $500
Third Place $250

$100 for Smallest fish, Biggest Laker, Biggest Rainbow, and Also the mystery fish.

Tickets are $50 and Kids are free with each paying adult.

Madatory Captains meeting at Sportsmans Warehouse in Wenatchee at 6pm on Thursday. If you are unable to make it Thursday or have any questions please Contact Jayson at (509) 885-6920

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Lake Chelan Kokanee Derby

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:57 pm

Good to everyone that is fishing this derby!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:12 pm

On point I want to address this year is the Game Wardens will be out in force on Saturday and Sunday. Be sure to follow the rules and make sure your boat is in legal shape. Also anyone caught releasing (culling) fish will be disqualified from the derby

Skaha
Petty Officer

Post by Skaha » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:33 pm

--I'm on my way tomorrow... from B.C.
--Have to get state license and read up on all of the rules that may be different for my boat and fishing regs.
--Good cause to help get local kids out fishing.
--Also looking forward learning more about the fishery there.

--We are looking to improve kokanee fishing in BC as a whole and in particular on the big lakes here near your boarder.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Skaha wrote:--I'm on my way tomorrow... from B.C.
--Have to get state license and read up on all of the rules that may be different for my boat and fishing regs.

--We are looking to improve kokanee fishing in BC as a whole and in particular on the big lakes here near your boarder.
Very cool, good luck!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:05 am

Skaha wrote:--I'm on my way tomorrow... from B.C.

if you have any questions about anything give me a call (360) 722-4843

Skaha
Petty Officer

Post by Skaha » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:48 pm

--Derby was fun and I did learn a lot about fishing Chelan early season.
--Went down on wednesday for pre-fish and planning.
--Thursday in to Wenatchee for the seminar and Captains meeting. The Game Wardens went over all the regulations and took time to answer questions. They even went over the equipment I had and check my licenses and boating cards...to make sure I was all up to par. Obvious with my BC boat number on the boat but when they came by in the derby just got a friendly wave as they had already checked my boat and licenses.
-- Participants in the derby were all very helpful as I had not fished the lake except the pre-fish before the derby.

-- The Derby was a bonus but helping to raise money to get kids on the water that may not otherwise have a chance is a great cause. Hopefully the volunteers don't get burnt out as I am sure this Derby will continue to grow. Thanks

--Got to hang out at Watson's lodge with some of the experts and discuss fishing. I'm sure we will continue the dialogue via the internet.