Want to Learn Kokanee Fishing

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Re: Want to Learn Kokanee Fishing

Post by Salmon King » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:36 pm

Ooh thanks for reminding me
I would have forgotten it.

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Hey there guys. I see you guys are some of the best out there. New to fishing and wanting to learn a lot more. Just got into Kokanee and wanted to ask where I could get a decent rod to go out. Any special kind? Is it too late to get a rod and go out and try. I have a small 8ft to go out. Just need a rod but do not know where to get one. Hope someone can help to go catch some before it's too late.

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:28 am

I like my Okuma SST kokanee rod, of course it's not too late! get out there
Eat, sleep, fish

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:38 pm

Thought I'd revive this thred a bit.

Now that it's getting into Feb. I'm starting to think about Kokanee again...
Where are they bitin' guys?

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:35 pm

Salmon King wrote:Good Morning Everyone!

I've been fishing the Saltwater for so long I've forgotten how to fish the lakes and rivers.

I REALLY want to lesrn how to fish Kokes.
I live in Island County and there's no place I know of that's close so after reading the reports it looks like Stevens would be a good place to learn.
My boat for that trip would be either a 10' Livingston or a 12' HiLaker (unless I could get by with my 8' pontoon :scratch: )

Anyway...I have a bunch of trout rods and some flies but what do I buy for Kokanee terminal gear?
How do I rig it? Do you guys troll (from reading the reports this sounds like the preferred method), or anchor up and use power bait?
Is there a Kokanee lake closer to me?

Lots of questions...sorry.
Thanks all,
Terry
The 4 lakes i know of with kokanee near you would be Stevens Cavanaugh Sutherland then both the Baker reservoirs Shannon Baker lk.. i have very limited knowledge But the few times i go out to Pt Angeles me n friends try to make the trip to Sutherland.. We troll crawler harnesses in multiple different colors either alone or behind some kind of flashers or pop gear. 1/2 oz weight and drop it 10-20 pulls behind the boat.. always troll away from the sun and SLOW

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:50 pm

Don't forget Lake Samish just off I-5. The lake is open year round and is an excellent kokanee fishery.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:16 pm

[quote="rseas"]Don't forget Lake Samish just off I-5. The lake is open year round and is an excellent kokanee fishery.[/quote

You're the 2nd person to say that.. Had never heard of them just great bass and monster cutthroat.. have to give it a try this year

Nerka
Angler

Post by Nerka » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:22 pm

Salmon King wrote:
Now that it's getting into Feb. I'm starting to think about Kokanee again...
Where are they bitin' guys?

Salmon King Lake Samish would be a good lake to learn and is closest to get to for you.
Since the water temps are low (50 to 55 degree range is optimum for these guys) I'd long line slow or if you use a downrigger I'd stagger my setups 5 to 15 down and at the least 50' away from the boat, go with a 0000 chrome flasher towing a 12-14" chartreuse with silver blade wedding ring or red with silver blade wedding ring tipped with gulp maggots or corn.

Or what Gfakkema said......

What did he say?

Let us know how it goes.
Richard

Let's go fishing!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:28 pm

Lets just check the regs before targeting Koke's in Lake Samm, after all they are endangered.

SAMMAMISH, LAKE (King Co.) NO (763)
ALL SPECIES - Jan. 1-Apr. 30: single-point barbless hooks required. TROUT Year-round Statewide min. size/daily limit. Dec. 1-June 30: release all STEELHEAD or RAINBOW TROUT over 20". Release KOKANEE. Other Game Fish Year-round Statewide min. size/daily limit.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:54 pm

Thanks bodo but we are talking about Samish in Whatcom Co. not Samammish in King County.
Yeah....I know....It took me forever to get used to the way they name things in this state. Especially the watr ways!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:30 pm

Salmon King wrote:Thanks bodo but we are talking about Samish in Whatcom Co. not Samammish in King County.
Yeah....I know....It took me forever to get used to the way they name things in this state. Especially the watr ways!
My Bad!! I grew up in Issy and I live near Lake Samm but I lived in B'Ham for 12 years and fished Samish so they get mixed in my feeble.......... They've been interchangeable for years, not to mention mixing threads........ [wink] There is a thread going now for a fellow probing for Lake Samm, guiding possibilities for Cutties, Kokes and pan fish. First and last would be legal, Kokes, not so much as it's not planted fishery.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!