Lake Chelan koks

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jake_k
Warrant Officer

Lake Chelan koks

Post by jake_k » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:09 am

I am headed to lake chelan this weekend to try my hand at kokanee. But here is the issue: I unfortunately will not have down riggers or a fish finder. I was thinking of trolling with deep sixs and weight releases. I will also have access to charts of the lake and will be staying at a cabin near lake chelan state park. My question is this. Will we even have a chance at catching anything or will it be just fishing for a cold. Any advice is apprecatied.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Re: Lake Chelan koks

Post by JoshH » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:05 am

You will be throwing darts in the dark. Chelan is so big and so deep. You have to be able to find the schools and what depth they are at. Any day fishing though is worth the effort. You could get lucky and run in to some wandering cuts, rainbows, Chinook, or the odd suspended mack.

jake_k
Warrant Officer

Post by jake_k » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:16 am

i was worried about this but if we have a chance to hook in to other species that will also be sweet

jake_k
Warrant Officer

Post by jake_k » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:16 am

i was worried about this but if we have a chance to hook in to some other species that will also be sweet

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Winter koks tend to run very deep on Chelan, 60-170 feet. That said, there will little boat traffic so you can let out a lot of line to your deep 6. Try north of the state oark. Good luck!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:49 pm

Try pulling you usual trout gear around the shallows of the lake. Down in town by Chelan can be a good spot. Chelan has some great trout fishing and some can be quite large! Just be sure to release any native cutthroat you catch.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:17 pm

How'd it go?