What is a Kokanee

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mark64
Angler

What is a Kokanee

Post by Mark64 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:34 pm

I would like to get some opinions from others on the subject of, "what is a Kokanee" I apologize if this has been discussed already I have done a search. came up empty. I have just started fishing for Kokanee this year. Done a fair amount of reading on these fish. Everything I have read has told me these are landlocked Sockeye. I have a few friends that are accomplished fishermen and respect their opinion. They are telling me that Kokanee is just a catch all and have refered to Kokanee as Coho/silvers. I am confused by this. Any input would be nice.

BentRod
Admiral

Re: What is a Kokanee

Post by BentRod » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:01 pm

Freshwater sockeye as far as I understand.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:29 pm

or a light ish Canadian beer. Normally caught in 12 pack schools. :cheers:

Had to, couldn't let it pass.........
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:35 pm

Bodofish wrote:or a light ish Canadian beer. Normally caught in 12 pack schools. :cheers:

Had to, couldn't let it pass.........
I was heading the same direction except they don't turn red and green in the fall...

That said, a kokanee is a landlocked sockeye salmon.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Mark64 wrote:I would like to get some opinions from others on the subject of, "what is a Kokanee" I apologize if this has been discussed already I have done a search. came up empty. I have just started fishing for Kokanee this year. Done a fair amount of reading on these fish. Everything I have read has told me these are landlocked Sockeye. I have a few friends that are accomplished fishermen and respect their opinion. They are telling me that Kokanee is just a catch all and have refered to Kokanee as Coho/silvers. I am confused by this. Any input would be nice.
They are different. Like others have said, kokanee are landlocked sockeye. Easiest way to tell the difference is the coho will be slightly spotted on the back and the upper portion of the tail. Kokanee won't. A few lakes around have coho that wandered in and wound up staying. Lots of people catch them thinking they are kokanee.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:07 am

Kokanee = landlocked sockeye as previously stated.

Landlocked coho = silvers..

HOWEVER

I think where the confusion comes in is that many old timers back in the day called kokanee 'silvers' and some of that has trickled down a generation or two.

If you're not sure which they mean (and they don't know what they mean) when they are discussing lake fishing and say 'silvers' you can ask them which lake they are referring to as it will likely hold one or the other...and that data is easy to look up if you are unfamiliar with the lake.

onmygame

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:49 am

Onmygame wrote:Kokanee = landlocked sockeye as previously stated.

Landlocked coho = silvers..

HOWEVER

I think where the confusion comes in is that many old timers back in the day called kokanee 'silvers' and some of that has trickled down a generation or two.

If you're not sure which they mean (and they don't know what they mean) when they are discussing lake fishing and say 'silvers' you can ask them which lake they are referring to as it will likely hold one or the other...and that data is easy to look up if you are unfamiliar with the lake.

onmygame
Highlighted text is the reason for confusion. LOTS of people still call them silvers, I hear it all the time. If you get around kokanee water in eastern WA and north ID, you'll also hear the term "blue backs" because that's the color of their back.[wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Mark64
Angler

Post by Mark64 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks for the input. That is what I had been reading and understood. I really like the beer reference. Haha I didn't even think about the Kokanee beer. Good stuff!!!